Will a PC POST with NO memory

Des

What should happen if I boot a PC ( i7-950, P6X58D-E) with NO memory sticks fitted?

Will it manage to make any kind of 'beep' just running from ROM?

I'm trying to find out why it won't boot any more, all variations of sticks cause the RED RAM led to flash (12GB KINGSTON HYPER-X TRI-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (6 x 2GB KIT)).

RAM? MB? Proc? Its' driving me mad.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What should happen if I boot a PC ( i7-950, P6X58D-E) with NO memory sticks fitted?

Will it manage to make any kind of 'beep' just running from ROM?

I'm trying to find out why it won't boot any more, all variations of sticks cause the RED RAM led to flash (12GB KINGSTON HYPER-X TRI-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (6 x 2GB KIT)).

RAM? MB? Proc? Its' driving me mad.

It should hit the post and do a memory check and then halt saying no memory found.
Or if it's on fast boot it will just output a beep.
That's if it's got a system speaker in it. I never fit one.

As PCS sell custom desktops and laptops though, we can't advise on self builds or competitor builds, for troubleshooting you may want to check out Tom's hardware which is an open forum.

Des

Seriously running out of ideas.

Stripped it down to no RAM, video card, or disk cables.

Tried new CMOS battery.

Held down CMOS clear button, whilst turning on power.

Pushed RAM timing button, just a few flashes then nothing.

Swapped out power supply.

In all cases, after cycling the power and pressing the power button, the fans will spin up, the RAM LED blinks for 3, or 4 or ..n times and then the fans stop and it goes to sleep.

I have to power cycle again to get it to do anything.

I'm wondering if the BIOS has somehow become corrupted?

Getting close to just writing it all off before it blows my blood pressure.

I've just bought a new PCS system to replace it, but I was hoping to keep it for messing about with.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Seriously running out of ideas.

Stripped it down to no RAM, video card, or disk cables.

Tried new CMOS battery.

Held down CMOS clear button, whilst turning on power.

Pushed RAM timing button, just a few flashes then nothing.

Swapped out power supply.

In all cases, after cycling the power and pressing the power button, the fans will spin up, the RAM LED blinks for 3, or 4 or ..n times and then the fans stop and it goes to sleep.

I have to power cycle again to get it to do anything.

I'm wondering if the BIOS has somehow become corrupted?

Getting close to just writing it all off before it blows my blood pressure.

I've just bought a new PCS system to replace it, but I was hoping to keep it for messing about with.

Does sound like a motherboard issue imho

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Does sound like a motherboard issue imho

No PC/motherboard/BIOS has ever been designed to behave sensibly with no RAM installed. RAM is an absolutely essential component and so IMO testing without any RAM is unlikely to produce any meaningful results. Test it with a single stick of RAM and rotate through however many sticks you have (it's unlikely they're all dead).

That said, it does kinda sound like a motherboard issue.....