Will GTA IV run smoothly with the 2.2ghz quad core cpu?

Jiyuu

Silver Level Poster
I've read on this forum somewhere that there isn't much difference between the 2.2 and the 2.4 so I was just going to go with the 2.2, but then I see GTA IV's recommended cpu requirement is 2.4 ghz quad core. I'm looking to cut back on my spending wherever possible, but I'd really like to be able to play GTA IV.

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
No not really it's a pretty CPU intensive game, we don't sell any 2.2Ghz quad core CPU's here though. I can put together a spec for you if you give me a budget.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
it will run perfectly on GTA4, probably high settings

it recommends a 2.4ghz quad and the recommended is usually high @60fps, so if you dont mind a lower fps then you will get high

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
The Vortex II has a 2.2ghz quad core CPU option
Oh laptop CPU's! sorry about that I was thinking about the Phenom 9500.

it will run perfectly on GTA4, probably high settings
It won't at all, I get frequent stuttering on my phenom ii 965 so it's very unlikely at 1920x1080. Although, you could reduce the draw distance in the game options, this would help a lot.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
you must remember that the power:clock speed ratio is much better on a majority of Intel processors, and although the processor may not properly take advantage of it, hyperthreading is also available

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz or equivalent AMD Phenom X3 2.1GHz
Memory/RAM: 2.5 GB for XP or Vista
Video Card: 512MB NVIDIA 8600 or 512MB ATI 3870
Hard Disk Space: 18GB free
Operating System: Windows XP SP3 or Windows Vista SP1

it seems that it may be that it only uses 3 cores, its just that intel doesnt offer a tri-core processor

and what is to say that your problem lies with the CPU, it could be one of multiple things

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
I know for a fact that it's the CPU as I've tested a variety of games. It's also pretty well known in other hardware forums that it's an incredibly poorly optimised game which is why it runs so bad. Pretty much all Rockstar games are like this though, L.A. Noire is another example.

Tom DWC

GTA IV is probably the worst port of the last five years in terms of optimisation. I can't remember exactly what options were available as they chopped and changed it so many times but seem to remember the night shadows (and shadows and lighting in general) brought about framerate death to just about anything but a very high end rig. I remember my old Q9400 (2.66Ghz) struggled on medium - high at a decent res, let alone max).

So yeah it will run alright at medium settings (and still look pretty good) but then the CPU is going to cause problems as Phoenix has said. You're not missing all that much between medium - max anyway cause the game doesn't support any anti aliasing (at least not out of the box, as far as I know). More about the story and gameplay.

Last edited: