Will my 3080 be able to run a 4k monitor at a good standard ?

leea123

Enthusiast
Hi all, am thinking of coming away from Ultrawide, May return but fancy a change. Just need some advice. Would I be able to get good fps with a 3080 on 4k, at say medium settings in-game, or should I wait till I can upgrade to a 4080?
Thank you

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Will depend hugely on the game and what visual quality you're after.

4k low settings in GTA V may give you 200FPS...but 4K RT Psycho in Cyberpunk may see 20FPS.

As a comparison, in Cyberpunk with a 3080Ti, my average FPS from built-in benchmark (with Path Tracing):
  • Ultra Performance - 72fps
  • Performance - 45fps
  • Balanced - 35fps
  • Quality - 28fps
  • Auto - 35fps
  • Off - 14fps
However, I play it at High preset without RT or PT:
  • 114fps (average), 152fps (high), 53ps (low)
Tt3D134m.jpg

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So long as you're optimising settings the 3080 will do pretty well on a 4k 144Hz monitor, but there are some obvious newer games that may struggle without severely reducing settings such as Hogwarts, CyberPunk, those kinds of games.

leea123

Enthusiast
So long as you're optimising settings the 3080 will do pretty well on a 4k 144Hz monitor, but there are some obvious newer games that may struggle without severely reducing settings such as Hogwarts, CyberPunk, those kinds of games.
Thank you for that, just have a little question, at the moment I use a Gsync monitor, do I require a Gsync to control the fps output in the Nvidia control panel global settings, or can that be changed regardless of Gsync or not? Thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thank you for that, just have a little question, at the moment I use a Gsync monitor, do I require a Gsync to control the fps output in the Nvidia control panel global settings, or can that be changed regardless of Gsync or not? Thanks
Gymsync synchronises the fps of the pc to the hz of the monitor for less tearing. You don't need to worry about FPS at all, gsync does it for you