Will PCS do Black Friday sales?

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Just curious.

There are a few things I'm hoping to buy from various websites to upgrade my camera gear. My PC is starting to struggle with 4k editing, so if there are any sales going you never know, I might be tempted to spend some of my budget here :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I don't get why any UK business feels the need to have black friday sales. It's an American thing and has nothing to do with us

steaky360

I don't get why any UK business feels the need to have black friday sales. It's an American thing and has nothing to do with us

I'd say its because it will increase sales massively on that day (or during that period), everyone loves a sale or a bargain :)

But I very much doubt PCS will do a 'black friday' sale of any kind (although I'm here to be proven wrong :D!!)

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster

It may be American, but it's catching on! Tesco are doing it (couldn't care less) - but more importantly, CVP (camera/broadcast supplier) are doing it and I for one am hoping to grab a bargain :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I just don't see why we are doing it here as well other than to make money.

Back to the reason you want something cheap, have you considered overclocking? Its even cheaper than something in the sale:p

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster

Back to the reason you want something cheap, have you considered overclocking? Its even cheaper than something in the sale:p

I think the whole point of it is for companies to make money :p

I haven't considered overclocking! Although I bought my CPU with it in mind... however quite frankly the idea scares me a little as I have no idea how to go about doing it safely and stable-y. It's something I intend to learn but haven't got around to doing yet! But you may be right - perhaps now may be the time!

Overclocking won't grab me a bargain on another Caviar Black though ;)

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
It has become a bit of a bandwagon thing this year. More and more companies joining in. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does rather smack of "we couldn't come up with anything, so let's just copy Amazon and Asda" :D

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Overclocking a CPU is easy as making toast. If you have the ASUS AI Suite then you can auto-overclock from there and it will find the best settings for your CPU and the temperatures it is running at.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Overclocking a CPU is easy as making toast. If you have the ASUS AI Suite then you can auto-overclock from there and it will find the best settings for your CPU and the temperatures it is running at.

Awful analogy there Wozz...because you can only burn your CPU once :D

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster

I have AI Suite III... is it easy as just clicking '4-way optimization'?!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I dont know about version 3 but its something like that. It should tell you what to do. I'm not at my PC so can't show you what to do exactly on AI Suite but it will make it clear if it is overclocking for you.

Nedkelly

Overlocking is the last thing i would do on my not-cheap computer, lol.
Overheating is not healthy for any electric, due to the leadless joins/solders. Thermal extension and contraction could do a big mess in the plate.

Even if the temperatures are fine, remember they are only temperatures that comes from thermometer device on the part. In reality, cooling doesnt occur uniformly, based on what type of cooling you have. Those microscopic temperature fluctuations will lead to microscopic damages.
Making this short, overlocking most likely will shorten your pc life.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Most components are built with overclocking built in these days and many have a turbo option to clock past its factory settings. You would literally have to go out your way and completely stupid to actually break something from overclocking, there are safeguards in place to prevent damage, especially to CPUs because they are not an optional peripheral unlike a GPU so has close links to the motherboard etc

mishra

Rising Star
I don't understand why anybody would complain about Black Friday ? I don't care if its American, Brazilian or North Korean thing. If I can get my goods at massively reduced price.. bring it on baby anyday, anytime ! :)

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I'm slightly addicted to Amazon at the mo...the Lightning sales have me hooked...it's like a Steam sale, but quicker, and with stuff other than games :D

(I have not at all bought things I really don't need JUST because they were 50-70% off :D )

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Well it is a first, PCS is offering £20 off.

I've used the code that they provided in the checkout but it says that its not recognized.
Try to give them a call, it might not be active until later today or you could just place your order over the phone

Hugh

I don't understand why anybody would complain about Black Friday ? I don't care if its American, Brazilian or North Korean thing. If I can get my goods at massively reduced price.. bring it on baby anyday, anytime ! :)

Enjoy your £20 off ;-) I managed to talk PCS into a £15 discount on my £2,101 laptop the Thursday before last. That's a massive 0.714% reduction!!

To be fair, I couldn't find any better prices than PCS - Scan were about 12% more expensive, for example, and declined to even attempt to match the quote, let alone beat it. £20 will get you a good chunk off an NVidia Shield but as soon as you're spending £1,000, it's 2% and on £2,000 it's 1%. The price of parts fluctuates more than that on a weekly basis. I can only assume PCS already have their profits cut to the bone.