Will the RTX 3090 be beaten?

fufixiil

It’s a professionals card, video editing and rendering etc i believe - hence the VRAM being so high. Although i’m not sure they’ll let the 3080ti beat it, they very well could do and justify that their target audience are different people.
Exactly this. The reason it's so pricey is because of the VRAM more than anything, the only purpose for it is for big rendering projects so it can load massive resources into the VRAM to vastly improve rendering times. Completely wasted for gaming, unless you're talking 8k 60Hz in which case, yes, it would be worth it.

But at 4k, it's mostly pointless, the 3080ti is a far more suitable card and will likely perform around the same for significantly less money.

The 3090 is essentially the new nomenclature for the previous Titan cards.
Thanks for this! I went for 3090 to futureproof myself for 3D rendering and light gaming.
Same here. Bought a 3090 to 'Skip' the 3080 queue. Put it this way. If the waiting list is still 4 months for a 3080 but I was able to get my 3090 in my PCS build in 3 weeks, well I can Crypto-mine the price difference between a 3080 and 3090 in that 4 months. Heck, at current mining profits I could nearly mine the entire cost of the 3090 in those 4 months...get to game on it from right now and end up with the top tier card of the 3000 series even if only by a few frames and even after the 3080ti launches months from now with a months long waiting list....remember my 3090 was effectively free because I was able to get one NOW and start Crypto-mining with it...NOW.... :D My 3090 will have paid for itself just in time before Proof of Stake hits Ethereum and likely causes mining profits to drop from current levels.
Besides the ethical side of things, how much electricity would you use and is that already included in the "mined cost of 3090"? What else is there to know? Asking for a friend. :ROFLMAO:

To stay on topic - As a mining enthusiast ( :p ), would you say that 3090 is the next option for the next couple of years?

Calibos

Bronze Level Poster
Lets hope proof of stake reduces the energy waste that comes from mining! https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkb...ATUEAwznlFmFvrszQfPVqIDCtdDfovAcI1S4lV_MpZ0CU
Its all a big Ponzi as far as I'm concerned and I'd never invest myself as I'm too risk averse and would fear I'd be left holding the bag when it all eventually permanently goes tits up. Also the energy use rubs me the wrong way....however, I can shut my environmental conscience up for a few months if it gets me a free 3090. :D

Ash_

Master Poster
If you are buying a card for mining, you really do need absolutely incredible cooling. Proper miners don’t even have them in cases.

Last i checked, a 3090 will produce something like £10 a day in profit, so realistically... yes it will pay for itself over 100+ working day build times.

Calibos

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for this! I went for 3090 to futureproof myself for 3D rendering and light gaming.

Besides the ethical side of things, how much electricity would you use and is that already included in the "mined cost of 3090"? What else is there to know? Asking for a friend. :ROFLMAO:

To stay on topic - As a mining enthusiast ( :p ), would you say that 3090 is the next option for the next couple of years?
The guys I asked this question have software that when not gaming on them, downclocks the GPU Core, reduces the power limit and OC's the memory for most efficient mining and using 250W and with them paying 15c/kwh the extra lecky on their bill is about 90c per day. Current net profit per day for them is about €8 but it was up to €13 last week. the 24GB GDDR6x in the 3090 runs very hot which is why you may have read about lots of people upgrading the Thermal pads on their memory and adding fans to the backplates of their 3090's. I have a good bit more research to do myself before I start. Not just on how to set up the card to mine 24/7 when not gaming with the least risk/strain put on the card but also how to mine, and with whom and what to do with the cryptopayments and how to convert it to real money and what are the exact tax implications etc. Apparently the Window for GPU mining is closing with Ethereum moving to Proof of Stake whatever that means, so I'll just mine as long as the profits are decent or a pay off my GPU or even my full PC, whichever comes first.

Ash_

Master Poster
I’m not sure PCS will allow you to do the pads, from what i was aware - the only manufacturer that will allow it, whilst under warranty is Gigabyte also. You don’t want to be voiding your warranty and then have a card fail. I’ve had a 3070 and 6700XT fail in the last few weeks.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I’m not sure PCS will allow you to do the pads, from what i was aware - the only manufacturer that will allow it, whilst under warranty is Gigabyte also. You don’t want to be voiding your warranty and then have a card fail. I’ve had a 3070 and 6700XT fail in the last few weeks.
I believe EVGA allow thermal pad replacement also.

Ash_

Master Poster
I believe EVGA allow thermal pad replacement also.
I don’t think i have even seen an EVGA in this country.

Either i have been extremely unlucky, or the quality of this generation of cards, has been poor in comparison and I certainly wouldn’t want a voided warranty and then a 3090 fail on me 😅.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I don’t think i have even seen an EVGA in this country.

Either i have been extremely unlucky, or the quality of this generation of cards, has been poor in comparison and I certainly wouldn’t want a voided warranty and then a 3090 fail on me 😅.
EVGA are considered the top tier in any country, they’re very popular in the UK with the Kingpin widely regarded as one of the most premium extreme overclock models available.

Ash_

Master Poster
EVGA are considered the top tier in any country, they’re very popular in the UK with the Kingpin widely regarded as one of the most premium extreme overclock models available.
I know they are very good, but i have not seen a single one for sale here and certainly not on PCS, which would means only those with Gigabyte would have any kind of warranty still in tact, for replacing pads. Gigabyte have pretty excellent customer support in all honesty

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I know they are very good, but i have not seen a single one for sale here and certainly not on PCS, which would means only those with Gigabyte would have any kind of warranty still in tact, for replacing pads. Gigabyte have pretty excellent customer support in all honesty
I got a friend of mine a 3070 from Overclockers, they had loads of stock not so long ago.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I tend to buy gigabyte and completely agree, their customer support is excellent, very few hurdles to jump through and quick turnaround.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah, they have a lot of stock of a lot of cards now, just it is all being held back for RMA’s. OC’s charge through the roof though
I have no idea what’s happened with their shipping fees but it’s £10 now for basic shipping, it’s crazy! Don’t know when that changed cos it never used to be like that

Ash_

Master Poster
I have no idea what’s happened with their shipping fees but it’s £10 now for basic shipping, it’s crazy! Don’t know when that changed cos it never used to be like that
They are a nightmare with a lot of things, i avoid unless I absolutely have to buy from them. Sometimes they have bargain B grade items