Will this cooler be able to keep up with the i9-9900k?

cyrjam

Case COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE H500 GAMING CASE
Processor i9-9900K (3.6GHz) 16MB Cache
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO
Memory (RAM) 4GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (1 x 4GB) (Will be going for better in near future)
Power Supply CORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE

I'm mainly buying this for working in After Effects and Premiere Pro. I won't be editing videos or rendering out in Premiere (I'll be using Adobe Media Encoder for rendering) but I'll be testing out my mogrts to make sure they are fully functional etc... I will also be doing some gaming with games like GTA V, Shadow of the Tomb Raider and NFS Heat. I'd just like to know if this Cooler would help keep my temps in check. I rather not go for a liquid cooler and my budget is £900 but this setup is already up to £964 (which i think i can do) with all the other components added to it. Thanks for any replies.

Last edited:

cyrjam

Yes, the noctua is about the bst air cooler you can buy and very quiet.
Thanks Spyder. Also, Im looking to go for a rtx 2060 (super maybe) soon... do you think this would be a good match up with my above build?... I dunno if this helps but my monitor is only 1080p 60hz and I wont be able to get a new anytime soon after buying this build. 😁 Thanks

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks spyder

Thanks Spyder. Also, Im looking to go for a rtx 2060 (super maybe) soon... do you think this would be a good match up with my above build?... I dunno if this helps but my monitor is only 1080p 60hz and I wont be able to get a new anytime soon after buying this build. 😁 Thanks
A GTX 1660 Super would be more than enough. 2060 is quite overpowered.

cyrjam

Hey guys I have another question on this cooler. Will it still be ok for the i9-9900k if i wanted to overclock sometime in the future and if anyone knows, whats the ram clearance like for this cooler?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey guys I have another question on this cooler. Will it still be ok for the i9-9900k if i wanted to overclock sometime in the future and if anyone knows, whats the ram clearance like for this cooler?
"In cases with more than 165mm CPU cooler clearance, the fan can be moved upwards to make room for memory modules taller than 32mm.
With its 52mm slim design tailor-made for LGA2011/LGA2066, the NH-U14S will not overhang the RAM slots on this platform, thus guaranteeing full compatibility with tall memory modules. On some LGA115x and AMD motherboards, the front fan may overhang the first RAM slot, so standard height RAM (up to 32mm) should be chosen when using the first slot. "

Clearance - CPU Cooler 167mm/6.5"

Personally I'd choose the H100i if I were going to overclock it.

cyrjam

"In cases with more than 165mm CPU cooler clearance, the fan can be moved upwards to make room for memory modules taller than 32mm.
With its 52mm slim design tailor-made for LGA2011/LGA2066, the NH-U14S will not overhang the RAM slots on this platform, thus guaranteeing full compatibility with tall memory modules. On some LGA115x and AMD motherboards, the front fan may overhang the first RAM slot, so standard height RAM (up to 32mm) should be chosen when using the first slot. "

Clearance - CPU Cooler 167mm/6.5"

Personally I'd choose the H100i if I were going to overclock it.

Thanks for the speedy response and the info. So the NH-U14S wouldnt be able to keep it in check even if I had another fan on there? Also I'm trying to avoid Liquid coolers... for some reason I just dont trust having liquid in my system with so much expensive components. I know I know they hardly ever leak but one never knows when it will happen. With air cooling I don't have that worry. Thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for the speedy response and the info. So the NH-U14S wouldnt be able to keep it in check even if I had another fan on there? Also I'm trying to avoid Liquid coolers... for some reason I just dont trust having liquid in my system with so much expensive components. I know I know they hardly ever leak but one never knows when it will happen. With air cooling I don't have that worry. Thanks
Even if they leak they've got a non conductive coolant inside so it doesn't damage components, just makes a mess.

edit: I’m completely wrong there, it is conductive.

cyrjam

Even if they leak they've got a non conductive coolant inside so it doesn't damage components, just makes a mess.
Ok noted.. I do appreciated the advice but for some reason Im leaned more towards air cooling. Is it only liquid coolers that would be able to keep it at decent temps when overclocked or are there other air coolers which can do the job just fine?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Ok noted.. I do appreciated the advice but for some reason Im leaned more towards air cooling. Is it only liquid coolers that would be able to keep it at decent temps when overclocked or are there other air coolers which can do the job just fine?

I've read that the Noctua can keep a 9900k OC cool enough, I've seen it on the Noctua brochure.... I don't for one second believe it though as it takes all the might of my H115i RGB Platinum to keep the temps in check at anything over 5.0Ghz. I've got a good chip too that OC'd to 5.4 without any issues.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
You see, I thought I was right, but my searches weren’t conclusive.

I'm fairly certain almost all coolers nowadays use de-ionised water and ethylene glycol.

Of course they can conduct electricity in extreme circumstances but I think the resistance is in the MOhm capacity.

There ARE burst coolers on the planet but I think you would hear the screams of wrecked hardware :D

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm fairly certain almost all coolers nowadays use de-ionised water and ethylene glycol.

Of course they can conduct electricity in extreme circumstances but I think the resistance is in the MOhm capacity.

There ARE burst coolers on the planet but I think you would hear the screams of wrecked hardware :D
Thanks for clarifying, that's what I thought, good to have it backed up :)