Win8 Black Screen on Reboot - P9X790 Pro MoBo

9of9

Hi guys,

Recently received and set up my little beast of a gaming rig (this thing). It's working pretty damned well, but the one annoyance I seem to get with it is that it boots to a black screen 50% of the time.

Now this isn't a show-stopping issue - if I push the power button to switch it off, then switch it back on again it boots up normally the second time just fine. But left to it's own devices, whether I reboot or shut down properly, then switch on again it always gives me the black screen.

It seems to me like it's a motherboard issue. The P9X790 Pro had Fast Boot enabled by default in the UEFI and it seems like this is the sort of issue that some people have had with Fast Boot. Moreover, the settings in the mobo were setup such that on power loss, it would do a normal boot... this seems pretty consistent with the computer's behaviour, where doing a hard reset boots it up without any issues.

BUT disabling Fast Boot doesn't seem to have solved the problem. I still get a black screen on boot =/

I haven't found any good solutions to this issue online so far, beyond suggestions to reinstall Windows, so I thought I'd give it a shot in here, see if anyone's tried using Win8 with this motherboard? Ideally, of course, I'd like to have Fast Boot working, but I'm willing to settle for it just... booting up normally, without having to power cycle every time.

9of9

I've checked it out - it's what gave me the idea to check the Fast Boot settings in the first place. Unfortunately the hotfix doesn't seem applicable to my version of Windows anymore (I imagine it must have been rolled into the general updates by now) and the workarounds are a little too unspecific to my system. I have the Compatibility Support Module enabled already (to the most compatibility-ish option I could find) and the second one I don't even see how I can do on this motherboard, there are no RST options in the UEFI that I can find.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
UEFI has caused lots of problems for people, I think unless you're really worried about boot sector infections and the like it's best turned off. I don't use it on my Windows 8 Optimus IV and I have no boot issues at all.

BTW. If you do turn it off you will have to reinstall Windows, you can't switch UEFI on or off without a reinstall.

9of9

Hmm, not quite that desperate at this point - it seems like it should be a salvageable situation, after all it can boot up fine, but only when power-cycled. In any case, I want to try Asus support on this. Can anyone suggest where I can find the motherboard serial number? Preferably without having to dismantle the machine, but I cannot see anything on the motherboard that looks like it could realistically be a serial number from a cursory inspection. Anyone have the same make that knows where it could be found?

Rustilol

Bronze Level Poster
go to start menu, then type dxdiag - This will get some info up of your system, also the bios version of your mobo.

You can try changing some settings in bios like fast boot off, if that fails then update to most recent biosdirectly from asus. You will need to put it on usb stick and then use asus ez flash durectly from bios menu.

Hopefully this will solve your problem :)

9of9

I've checked - the firmware is actually on version 4302, which is Asus's latest! Simply turning fast boot off, on the other hand, doesn't seem to make a difference. I wonder if there aren't other settings hidden away, compatibility or RST options that I'm missing, but the best bet likely would be to contact Asus support, except that I can't find the serial number for the damned thing =/