Windows 10 File History query

roghun

Bronze Level Poster
I've been using Windows 10 File History on my current PC for a couple of years and fortunately never had to recover data. I can see that the files/folders are being backed up automatically etc. When I delete files on my HDD it doesn't delete them from the File History, meaning that my File History (on an external HDD) just keeps growing and growing (currently 1.2Tb on the backup and I have 0.9Tb on my C:/drive).
Does anyone know if there's a way of enabling auto deletion of a file on the back up?
Does file history use incremental or differential backup?
Is there a better piece of software (preferably free) that manages backup & recovery ? I've seen loads of alternative solutions but incredibly varying reviews.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I don't use File History but in the options for it I believe you can set a time limit for backups. I assume that after this time the backup is deleted. If you don't auto-delete older backups you will soon run out of backup disk space.

I've been a long-term user of SyncBack. This synchronises your backup drive with your data drive rather than take multiple snapshots as File History does. It's also massively configurable to allow you precise control over how long files deleted from the data drive are retained in the backup.

roghun

Bronze Level Poster
I don't use File History but in the options for it I believe you can set a time limit for backups. I assume that after this time the backup is deleted. If you don't auto-delete older backups you will soon run out of backup disk space.

I've been a long-term user of SyncBack. This synchronises your backup drive with your data drive rather than take multiple snapshots as File History does. It's also massively configurable to allow you precise control over how long files deleted from the data drive are retained in the backup.

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I have a time limit and auto delete older backups. My problem is that if I decide to delete a whole load of images on my HDD, those same images will still exist in the backup. What you have shown me with SyncBack is that the backup can be configured using a mirror backup . . . which would give me a solution. I need to study the software a bit more and watch some tutorials, but it does look promising! So many thanks for your feedback!