Windows 10 Pro Shutdown queries

MichaelSiggers

Hi
Evening all.
Just a couple of queries about the Windows shutdown process.
1. Attached is an image which I occasionally see when shutting down. Anyone know what is causing it?
2. When shutting down this evening, I also got a message on screen saying ‘Windows configuring System’ or something along those lines. It was fairly quick. According to my earlier check, there were no updates outstanding, so again, I would appreciate any insight into this.
I did restart the PC after and it booted up ok.
As a general question, are messages on shutdown about Apps closing before shutdown bad? I always make sure I quit every programme I am using and double check Task Manager, which always says No Tasks are running.
Mike

Attachments

• 3BF76EAD-D740-40D8-82AD-00ECBE84219C.jpeg
    3BF76EAD-D740-40D8-82AD-00ECBE84219C.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 106

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That message appears when Windows receives the shutdown signal but has an application running that isn't able to close because it's still running. It tells you which application it is (there could be more than one sometimes) and you have to make a judgement whether it's important to you that this application be allowed to complete. If you feel you need it to complete then just wait for it to finish and then Windows will do the shutdown, if you're not bothered about clobbering the application then tell Windows to shutdown anyway. Note that clobbering an application may result in data loss or corruption.

As a general rule, if you have any applications running that you need to be sure have finished processing (a copy command for example) then either wait for them to finish or close the application itself before you shutdown, so the application closes in a safe way (ie. without losing data). If you have any applications running that you don't care about or which you know won't corrupt or lose any data (a weather forecasting app, or something like CoreTemp telling you your temperatures) then just shutdown Windows. In most cases most applications receiving the shutdown signal will close, it's only if they're doing something important that you'll see the message in your screenshot - and that's Windows asking you what it should do.

Whenever you see the 'Configuring system' message on shutdown it's because there's been some sort of update or change that Windows needs to complete before shutting down. It's not always associated with updates, if you install or uninstall Windows features you sometimes see it, or even if you've made a configuration change to Windows you may see it. Sometimes you'll see this message on rebooting too. It's nothing to worry about and there's nothing you can really do about them in any case. :)

MichaelSiggers

Good Morning @ubuysa

Many thanks for your very detailed reply.

Firstly, good news about the Configuring System message. That’s one I don’t have to worry about.

In terms of the message about running apps when closing down, I do always make sure that all programmes I’ve been using are closed. I normally finish work for the day, close software programmes down, make a cup of tea, and then before I shut down the PC I double check Task Manager, to make sure it says no running apps. I always eject my External Drive safely too. I can only assume that it is some background App in the System tray, or something like Adobe CC, or maybe Norton. It’s confusing because, as can be seen from the screenshot, it doesn’t say what the App is.

I have checked Event Viewer too and there have been exclamation marks against DCOM (?) at the time of shutdown.

It does actually shut down on its own without me doing anything, after waiting a few seconds. I’m assuming Windows shuts down the process itself and then shuts down?

So, I guess the question is, is this behaviour normal and ok? In other words, it’s not doing any harm is it?

Mike

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Good Morning @ubuysa

Many thanks for your very detailed reply.

Firstly, good news about the Configuring System message. That’s one I don’t have to worry about.
How often do you see this message? If it's just now and then it really is nothing to worry about but if you see it every time then that's not normal.
In terms of the message about running apps when closing down, I do always make sure that all programmes I’ve been using are closed. I normally finish work for the day, close software programmes down, make a cup of tea, and then before I shut down the PC I double check Task Manager, to make sure it says no running apps. I always eject my External Drive safely too. I can only assume that it is some background App in the System tray, or something like Adobe CC, or maybe Norton. It’s confusing because, as can be seen from the screenshot, it doesn’t say what the App is.

I have checked Event Viewer too and there have been exclamation marks against DCOM (?) at the time of shutdown.

It does actually shut down on its own without me doing anything, after waiting a few seconds. I’m assuming Windows shuts down the process itself and then shuts down?

So, I guess the question is, is this behaviour normal and ok? In other words, it’s not doing any harm is it?

Mike
Closing everything down before you shutdown is a very good thing to do, it's disciplined and sensible. It's curious that you don't see what application it is - do you see this every time you shutdown or just now and then?

If Windows eventually shuts down then that's perfectly normal. I would suggest that you try not ejecting your external drive before shutting down, it's not necessary in any case and it's possible that whatever app won't close is trying to access that external drive....

However, since Windows can't identify the application then it begs the question whether it might be malware? I would run a couple of anti-malware scanners over your system to be on the safe side.

MichaelSiggers

Hi @ubuysa

The Configuring System message was only seen yesterday for the first time in ages. So, that seems ok.

I'll try leaving the External Drive connected. Good to know I can. One less thing to do before shutting down. I'm assuming Windows ejects it as part of the Shut Down process?

All good with malware/viruses, so that's ok. After a lot of googling, (hours), I see from the Microsoft Forums that this has been going on since 2018 with no real resolution. First post on one thread is February 10th 2018, going all the way to this year. One thing that does seem to pop its head up on their forums occasionally is it may be related to a Windows Update.

This App message is only seen every now and then too.

Anyway, it may be a problem that will never be solved, but you never know. Fingers crossed.

As you've said, Windows does Shut down, after a few seconds of this message, so I'm assuming that Windows is dealing with the 'App from Nowhere' and then carrying on with shutting down.

Many thanks for you help

Mike