Windows 10 upgrade for older X79 Rampage IV Extreme boards.

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
Greetings PCS community,

I was greeted with a notification at the bottom of my windows taskbar letting me know that the Windows 10 free upgrade is here, In the past I've had problems upgrading my drivers to more modern ones and even flashing the bios. I'm wondering will Asus support the older X79 Socket 2011 boards with Windows 10? If so what type of drivers will I need to upgrade to? Currently i'm not seeing any information about upgrade paths on the Asus customer support site. In addition Will I be able to download an ISO copy of Windows 10 to keep in-case of a BSOD?

My Specs: ASUS® RAMPAGE IV EXTREME: INTEL X79, SOCKET 2011, R.O.G
Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-3930K (3.2GHz) 12MB Cache
32GB KINGSTON HYPERX GENESIS QUAD-DDR3 1600MHz X.M.P(8 x 4GBKIT)

Many Thanks
Oliver

Spuff

Expert
I'd be surprised if a 4 year old board would be a barrier to W10. They want as many people using it as possible and they would be cutting a large number of people out if you need an under 4 year old board.
But what W10 upgrade is it? I read today that the release date is 29th July. Could you be having a malware bait?
When W10 does happen I'd give it a few days to see the reaction before installing it.

Here's a run down of what you need for W10:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/get-your-pc-ready-for-windows-10/

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'd be surprised if a 4 year old board would be a barrier to W10. They want as many people using it as possible and they would be cutting a large number of people out if you need an under 4 year old board. They are promising it to users of W7 & 8 so I presume if either of those are running on your machine then W10 will too.
But what W10 upgrade is it? I read today that the release date is 29th July. Could you be having a malware bait?
When W10 does happen I'd give it a few days to see the reaction before installing it.

Microsoft just started pushing out a windows update which asks the user if they want to pre-book the windows 10 free license so that it gets downloaded on day of release. It's being pushed out slowly I believe region based, so some people may not see it until nearer release time.

I think driver compatibility will be very similar to windows 8.1. From my tests on the preview build, it's recognised all components correctly and I haven't had any driver issues, so I'd say anything that's currently windows 8 based will be supported.

Last edited:

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
Many Thanks for the fast responses guys!

To respond to your question, I'm using Windows 7 as the base operating system. The system checker says there are no hardware problems at present. I'm using the factory version of the motherboard firmware (which according to my research doesn't support Windows 8.1's EFI boot without using 3rd party firmware) but this doesn't really concern me. You mentioned that Windows 10 preinstalls the drivers, I'm guessing it now handles USB, Soundcard and chipset drivers automatically?

Thanks again
Oliver

Spuff

Expert
Microsoft just started pushing out a windows update which asks the user if they want to pre-book the windows 10 free license .

Yes, I see now, I just got mine. It's to reserve the upgrade, not get it now (Oliver). I guess you have to do the reservation so you get sent the link to download it when the time comes.
'You'll get a notification when your upgrade is ready later this year' (microsoft.com)

I am supposing they are aiming to spread the moment people download because this will probably be the biggest shift of data of this kind ever done.

The notification icon isn't going away. Always something there to remind me.

Last edited:

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
Cheers for the heads up, I've had a chat with Asus Customer support in the US (via livechat), They explained that theres no plans as of yet to release Windows 10 drivers however I did find an article on ROG's blog - http://rog.asus.com/422412015/labels/product-news/asus-announces-whql-certification-for-windows-10/

"ASUS has every intention of ensuring users that the full ASUS range of Intel and AMD motherboards will be fully compatible. You will be able to use the newest innovations across 200 Intel and AMD motherboards, including:

Intel X99, X79, Z97, H97, Z87, H87, Z77, B85, B75, H81, Q87, Q77 and H61 series motherboards
AMD 990FX, A88X, A78, A68, A58 and A55 series boards and AM1-socket-based SoC solutions
System-on-a-chip (SoC) solutions"

So hopefully this is some sort of confirmation that they are working on it.