Windows 11 Insider Preview Available now!

Are you going to test Windows 11 on the Dev Channel preview?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FerrariVie

Super Star

Let's see how it goes:
1624902403352.png

If I'm away from the forum for a couple of days, then you know what happened :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

FerrariVie

Super Star
You got it right, of course! :ROFLMAO:

First try I got a green screen of death (insider's color is green) midway through the installation (after first boot), then I assumed that it might have something to do with the RAM cache software I was using, so deactivated that and tried again. This time, on one of the reboots, it simply didn't boot and the screen just stayed black. Then on the third try I finally got it working 🥳

1624916986296.png

To be fair, MS has gotten pretty good at recovering from update errors... both times that the update failed, it recovered back to windows 10 pretty quickly even though the installation was already between 30-50%.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You got it right, of course! :ROFLMAO:

First try I got a green screen of death (insider's color is green) midway through the installation (after first boot), then I assumed that it might have something to do with the RAM cache software I was using, so deactivated that and tried again. This time, on one of the reboots, it simply didn't boot and the screen just stayed black. Then on the third try I finally got it working 🥳

View attachment 27398

To be fair, MS has gotten pretty good at recovering from update errors... both times that the update failed, it recovered back to windows 10 pretty quickly even though the installation was already between 30-50%.
Interesting that they're calling it 21H2. That can only mean there will be no Windows 10 update this Autumn then? Either that or what is touted as Windows 11 really is just Windows 10 with a different hat on....

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I miss having the taskbar on the left side of the screen, though... the option is not there and only the default (bottom) is available
Can you do some benchmarking? I'd be interested to see whether there are any performance improvements? I'd also love to see whether RAM usage has changed much too (from Windows 10 I mean)?

What I'd really love to know if you can, is whether this is just Windows 10 with a different UI and (alleged) support for Android apps or whether it really is a radically different OS. It's what's under the covers that interest me in particular.

I'm particularly keen on the CPU usage on Windows 11 compared to Windows 10. There is a suggestion that Intel 6th and 7th generation CPUs are not supported because they're too slow[!].

Last edited:

TomBerry

Bright Spark
Can you do some benchmarking? I'd be interested to see whether there are any performance improvements? I'd also love to see whether RAM usage has changed much too (from Windows 10 I mean)?

What I'd really love to know if you can, is whether this is just Windows 10 with a different UI and (alleged) support for Android apps or whether it really is a radically different OS. It's what's under the covers that interest me in particular.

I'm particularly keen on the CPU usage on Windows 11 compared to Windows 10. There is a suggestion that Intel 6th and 7th generation CPUs are not supported because they're too slow[!].
Tried to do some benchmarking for you but get this error on 3DMark...not sure if this is an issue on my end or if it's that 3DMark doesn't support W11 testing yet? 3DMark still detected my Windows as W10 so maybe that's the issue...

1624957860485.png

FerrariVie

Super Star
Tried to do some benchmarking for you but get this error on 3DMark...not sure if this is an issue on my end or if it's that 3DMark doesn't support W11 testing yet? 3DMark still detected my Windows as W10 so maybe that's the issue...

View attachment 27401
3dmark detecting that you have windows 10 shouldn't be an issue, since W11 is not officially released yet and that is what I would expect it to show.

Will give it a try later today to see if it works for me, even though the last time that I ran a benchmark was in the winter time with ambient temperature being 5 degrees less than what it is now. I would be really surprised if the new results come up better.

FerrariVie

Super Star

What I can tell you for sure is that Android apps support is still not there. Searched everywhere and no android apps or amazon appstore is available on the windows store as of yet. Maybe on a future build.

I haven't noticed any difference in the performance, apart from some glitches on the new animations. Regarding RAM, it's hard for me to check that since I have an overkill amount of RAM and that was never an issue for me. Was able to play Forza Horizon 3 with about the same FPS as on W10, but benchmarks should tell us if the "new" OS is heavier or not.

Until now, my first impressions are that W11 is a W10 with better graphical design.

I thought that the requirement on 8th-gen up was because of the TPM 2.0 rather than performance? I might be wrong, but if it was performance-related, then desktop i7 or i9's from 7th gen would be supported when compared to laptop i3's from 8th-gen, right?

Same comparison on my Ryzen3 3100, where the performance is roughly the same as an Intel 7700k and mine is supported while 7700k is not.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
What I can tell you for sure is that Android apps support is still not there. Searched everywhere and no android apps or amazon appstore is available on the windows store as of yet. Maybe on a future build.

I haven't noticed any difference in the performance, apart from some glitches on the new animations. Regarding RAM, it's hard for me to check that since I have an overkill amount of RAM and that was never an issue for me. Was able to play Forza Horizon 3 with about the same FPS as on W10, but benchmarks should tell us if the "new" OS is heavier or not.

Until now, my first impressions are that W11 is a W10 with better graphical design.

I thought that the requirement on 8th-gen up was because of the TPM 2.0 rather than performance? I might be wrong, but if it was performance-related, then desktop i7 or i9's from 7th gen would be supported when compared to laptop i3's from 8th-gen, right?

Same comparison on my Ryzen3 3100, where the performance is roughly the same as an Intel 7700k and mine is supported while 7700k is not.
Could you load up Windows 11 with some CPU work and then open Task Manager, Details tab. Click the CPU header to sort descending by CPU usage and post a screenshot of that display?

FerrariVie

Super Star
Could you load up Windows 11 with some CPU work and then open Task Manager, Details tab. Click the CPU header to sort descending by CPU usage and post a screenshot of that display?
Sure, can do that later. Is Cinebench a good CPU load for this test or do you need something not too heavy?

FerrariVie

Super Star

So my score now is this:

around 350 points below my best score (https://www.3dmark.com/fs/25348489), but as I said, today I have an ambient temperature that is 7°C higher than on the day of that test, which ended up causing 5°C higher for the GPU average running Firestrike. Both GPU and CPU performances were a bit off.

At this point, not sure if the decrease in the score is related to temperature only or to W11 as well. Here is your task manager screenshot:
1624990258395.png