Windows 11 Install, best practice?

RichLan564

Bright Spark
OK, so i have managed to totally bork my audio drivers, don't ask me how but while uninstalling Corsair iCUE something has gone wayward and i now have no sound, updated drivers, everything showing OK but just no audio, playing the test tone just fails in all devices, audio troubleshooter just shows an error, so i'm thinking now is a probably a good time to go to Windows 11, what's the least painless way of doing it so it's a good clean install?

I'm going to have to reinstall all my applications which is filling me full of dread...

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
here you Rich:

Download a new copy of Windows using the Media Creation Tool (Second option on linked page) to an 8GB (min) USB.
Boot that USB and choose a Custom Install.
Delete all UEFI partitions on the system drive (EFI System, Recovery, MSR Reserved, Primary).
Select the unallocated space that results and click the Next button. The installer will create the correct partitions and install Windows.
Run Windows Update repeatedly, even across reboots, until no more updates are found.
You may need/want to download and install the latest graphics driver from the Nvidia/AMD website (they change so regularly the latest version isn't always in the Windows libraries).

This is also worth a watch

RichLan564

Bright Spark
here you Rich:

Download a new copy of Windows using the Media Creation Tool (Second option on linked page) to an 8GB (min) USB.
Boot that USB and choose a Custom Install.
Delete all UEFI partitions on the system drive (EFI System, Recovery, MSR Reserved, Primary).
Select the unallocated space that results and click the Next button. The installer will create the correct partitions and install Windows.
Run Windows Update repeatedly, even across reboots, until no more updates are found.
You may need/want to download and install the latest graphics driver from the Nvidia/AMD website (they change so regularly the latest version isn't always in the Windows libraries).

This is also worth a watch
Cheers, no idea what's happened but 2 hours of messing and no luck so its time to call it quits and jump to Win11, then spend an evening reinstalling Affinity, Exposure X, Davinci and Steam etc....

RichLan564

Bright Spark
It updated something in iCUE last night, then refused to work, think it was 5 dot something, then it failed an uninstall, downloaded the latest from the website, installed it and boom, no audio, its total crap.
We are back in business, might go with an older version of iCUE for now, tried OpenRGB, it’s even worse than iCUE for stability!

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
OpenRGB can be hit and miss, it depends how how well your devices are supported. For me, it's been rock solid. It's always worth trying the "pipeline" version of it rather than the stable version, as they release almost daily fixes and updates. For example 0.9 was released on 10th July, there's been 115 commits since that introduce greater support, bug fixes etc.

RichLan564

Bright Spark
OpenRGB can be hit and miss, it depends how how well your devices are supported. For me, it's been rock solid. It's always worth trying the "pipeline" version of it rather than the stable version, as they release almost daily fixes and updates. For example 0.9 was released on 10th July, there's been 115 commits since that introduce greater support, bug fixes etc.
Yeah tried that too after doing a bit of reading, its all corsair kit so should be fine, just didnt seem to want to play nice and kept quitting