Windows 11 is coming on June 24?

D

Deleted member 41971

So Microsoft teased an event for June 11, and most of journalists say it's Windows 11: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/event

They think this, given the time: 11AM Eastern Time and the fact the logo they posted, shows "11" in the shadow.

What do you think?

my guess is it will be more windows 10.5, with the design looking pretty much the same with say a few of the features of win 10x integrated in and maybe a few tweaks here and there, I don't think it will be massively different, time will tell.

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
my guess is it will be more windows 10.5, with the design looking pretty much the same with say a few of the features of win 10x integrated in and maybe a few tweaks here and there, I don't think it will be massively different, time will tell.
Well, Ysuf Medhi, VP Corporate of Microsoft said he's never been so enthusiastic for an update since Windows 95, also Nadella said it's one of the most important updates in the last decade

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
When they released windows 10, they were famous for saying "this will be the last windows version ever" or the "forever version". The idea was just to have "windows" that was constantly updated in the background rather than having major release versions.

Perhaps marketing wise, it's not working out, and I think the timing related to MacOS moving to ARM is significant. M1 Macs are stealing a lot of ground from the Surface lineup from what I'm hearing, even with the fact they haven't released the M1 Mac Pro yet. They've got crazy low latency and incredible efficiency, and the Rosetta 2 application virtualisation is effective and stable enough to successfully run any unsupported X86 apps without losing performance, and in some cases, still gaining performance despite the fact it's virtualised.

The word on the grapevine is that Microsoft will be buying into ARM as well with the intention of designing their own silicon initially for the Surface lineup, and we all know they've been trying to get Windows to run on ARM without much success. Again, I don't think it's insignificant that the M1 Macs are able to run virtualised windows instances more successfully than Microsoft managed natively on ARM devices up until this time.

My guess is you're probably right, this may be a whole new version. If so, the integration with Windows 10x may well be opening up the doors to ARM integration.

That would be a very good move if they can pull it off. They're going to lose a lot of ground to Apple if they don't start competing with ARM silicon, and after quite a number of years of successfully stealing apple customers to the surface lineup. I have no doubt that Apple Silicon will outperform X86 architecture in the very near future, and rumours are, they may well be announcing the M2 based Mac Pro at WWDC next week. The rumours are up to 40 cores on the CPU and 64 on the GPU:

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
When they released windows 10, they were famous for saying "this will be the last windows version ever" or the "forever version". The idea was just to have "windows" that was constantly updated in the background rather than having major release versions.

Perhaps marketing wise, it's not working out, and I think the timing related to MacOS moving to ARM is significant. M1 Macs are stealing a lot of ground from the Surface lineup from what I'm hearing, even with the fact they haven't released the M1 Mac Pro yet. They've got crazy low latency and incredible efficiency, and the Rosetta 2 application virtualisation is effective and stable enough to successfully run any unsupported X86 apps without losing performance, and in some cases, still gaining performance despite the fact it's virtualised.

The word on the grapevine is that Microsoft will be buying into ARM as well with the intention of designing their own silicon initially for the Surface lineup, and we all know they've been trying to get Windows to run on ARM without much success. Again, I don't think it's insignificant that the M1 Macs are able to run virtualised windows instances more successfully than Microsoft managed natively on ARM devices up until this time.

My guess is you're probably right, this may be a whole new version. If so, the integration with Windows 10x may well be opening up the doors to ARM integration.

That would be a very good move if they can pull it off. They're going to lose a lot of ground to Apple if they don't start competing with ARM silicon, and after quite a number of years of successfully stealing apple customers to the surface lineup. I have no doubt that Apple Silicon will outperform X86 architecture in the very near future, and rumours are, they may well be announcing the M2 based Mac Pro at WWDC next week. The rumours are up to 40 cores on the CPU and 64 on the GPU:

Exactly, they said there would have been no "number increase" on Windows anymore. But we all know Microsoft isn't always consistent, even more when it comes up to communication strategies to consumers. It will be actually interesting to see what they'll be wanting to do. They already tried ARM before but it turned out to be kinda a mess

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Or a slimmed down version for mobile devices called ‘Portholes’

Although I think @ubuysa might be onto something, I read a piece on the Beeb the other day that suggested that they might scrap the convention of numbering each release.

loso64

Or a slimmed down version for mobile devices called ‘Portholes’

Although I think @ubuysa might be onto something, I read a piece on the Beeb the other day that suggested that they might scrap the convention of numbering each release.
considering it is windows we are talking about it will be more like "potholes" xD