Windows 11 Requirements

jellyroll

I received an e-mail from Microsoft today extolling the virtues of Windows 11. I was invited to check that my PC was compatible by running their PC Health Check app. I was surprised to discover that my PC failed because the CPU is a AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics. The PC is 3 years old and more than adequate for my requirements so, is there any chance that Microsoft might amend its minimum requirements or do I stick with W10 or do I have to buy a new PC?

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
If it's doing everything you need it to do, stick with it. There's no need to upgrade to Windows 11; Windows 10 will be supported for at least another four years. It's not like it's a massive set of new features in any case.

If you do need to upgrade, it's possible you may even be able to upgrade just the CPU. Can you copy the full spec from the order page?

jellyroll

I agree there's little hardship in sticking with W10 but I can't deny it's good to have the "latest thing". I have attached my spec and would be interested to know if the CPU could be upgraded.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Microsoft have already said that users with 'unsupported' CPUs, but systems fully compliant in all other ways, will be able to clean install Windows 11.

BUT

They are suggesting (but have not explicitly confirmed) that they may not get updates. Which makes Windows 11 largely useless of course.

The cynic in me says that it will stay that way until after Windows 11 is publicly released, then I suspect they will relent and allow these systems to receive updates.

The reason I think that they won't announce this earlier is to help vendors (like PCS) sell more Windows 11 supported PCs. You might call that cynical but it's not surprising.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I agree there's little hardship in sticking with W10 but I can't deny it's good to have the "latest thing". I have attached my spec and would be interested to know if the CPU could be upgraded.
So I'd say "no", that system can't really be upgraded. You'd need a whole new build, I think. But, as I say, stick with Windows 10 until you actually need to upgrade.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hi Mate,

You've included your windows key in the pic, you should really remove that