Windows 11

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
TBH I was frightened of installing that, or anything similar.

Installed startallback which is a very popular paid software to implement the Win 10 task bar and start menu, and I got BSOD on the next boot up. If you dig a little deeper you'll find a lot of people installing similar hacks are reporting various issues, like the task bar or start menu disappearing altogether, or moving off the side of the screen etc. A quick google reveals similar comments by some Explorer Patcher users.
Any program has bugs that affect a sub set, it needs to be troubleshot and fixed, that's all.

davhun

Gold Level Poster
TBH I was frightened of installing that, or anything similar.

Installed startallback which is a very popular paid software to implement the Win 10 task bar and start menu, and I got BSOD on the next boot up. If you dig a little deeper you'll find a lot of people installing similar hacks are reporting various issues, like the task bar or start menu disappearing altogether, or moving off the side of the screen etc. A quick google reveals similar comments by some Explorer Patcher users.
Is startallback the same one that was called startisback some years ago when I tried it? I still use W10 but my favourite for personalising settings is Winaero Tweaker.

RS2OOO

Gold Level Poster
Is startallback the same one that was called startisback some years ago when I tried it? I still use W10 but my favourite for personalising settings is Winaero Tweaker.
I think they are different, but there's so many now I don't know who's copied who.

The choice is huge....

Startallback, ThisisWin11, Startisback, Classic Shell, Start11, Explorer patcher, and the list goes on.

Or follow a guide to add the functionality yourself in registry.

I used Classic Shell for years, it was great, and it does work on Windows 11, but hasn't had support for a long time now so is probably a risky option.

Thisiswin11 removes all bloatware as well, but have to be careful not to inadvertently delete something you shouldnt, although it does have a backup option.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You might be right.

But a huge portion of the world with billions of people are undeveloped / developing markets. Microsoft has always been at the forefront of 'supporting' these nations. I am certain something will change to enable these markets access to Windows 11 once support stops for previous versions.

I remember being in Northern Thailand in around 2006/7 and seeing genuine retail packaged Windows and Office bundles for sale for around £6-£9. I could not work out how these "fakes" looked so genuine and had genuine keys. Being peeved that I'd just paid over £180 for a Windows disc I did some research and disovered these were all genuine MS products, being sold/donated by MS to get developing worlds hooked on their products.

I can't see Microsoft just leaving these nations behind now, especially as we already know there's workarounds to install Win11 on unsupported hardware and avoiding TPM requirements. I guarantee if you go to India / Malaysia / Africa in 2025 you will see Windows 11 running everywhere on dusty old dual core PCs.
There are huge numbers of 'less developed nations' still using Windows XP because they can't afford anything else. I meet a few of these on other fora. I used to have a personal policy of not offering support to anyone running an unsupported version of Windows, until I came across people in 'less developed' countries who have no alternative.

Microsoft will never compromise the security aspects that made Windows 11 necessary to satisfy those in 'less developed' countries. If they were then these people wouldn't still be struggling with Windows XP.

I've worked in Thailand too (Bangkok), and just because someone there tells you that the £6 Windows copy they want you to buy is genuine and donated by Microsoft, doesn't mean it's true. Anymore than the £100 'genuine' Rolex they want to sell you was donated. ;)

RS2OOO

Gold Level Poster
I've worked in Thailand too (Bangkok), and just because someone there tells you that the £6 Windows copy they want you to buy is genuine and donated by Microsoft, doesn't mean it's true. Anymore than the £100 'genuine' Rolex they want to sell you was donated. ;)

100% genuine copies - I checked it out at the time and it was a well publicised programme to quash the rapid rise in Linux use, and probably also to combat the black market for non-geniune copies.

Plenty of information still available about it from a Google search, here's the first link I pulled up, admittedly not read it all: