Windows 7 and 8

kam67

Enthusiast
Been reading some pretty damning reviews of windows 8. Should I buy an oem copy of windows 7 - in case PCS ceases to provide Windows 7 - or is Windows 7 likely to continue being available for some time to come? Thanks!

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Windows7 will be around for a while yet.You can upgrade to windows 8 pro for £14. 99 if you buy a Windows 7 PC between June 2, 2012 and January 31, 2013,if you don't like it you can always revert back to windows7.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I think you'll be able to pick up Windows 7 for quite a long time, pretty sure you can still pick up windows vista and xp from some places. I'm actually hoping that windos 7 takes a price drop after 8 come out.

Im running windows 8 now but I've got Star8 by star dock to make it look and function like windows 8. I haven't had any other problems other than the fact it makes it obvious that its for a touch screen device.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from getting 8 just in my own experience 7 serves all the purposes i have.

kam67

Enthusiast
Thanks for the input, guys - I just ordered a copy of windows 7 off amazon, just to be on the safe. side ;)

P.S. Sounds like Windows 8 is a bit of a nightmare for those who work/play/tinker on a traditional desktop, being designed mainly for touch screen, tablet type devices.

Last edited:

donegal

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for the input, guys - I just ordered a copy of windows 7 off amazon, just to be on the safe. side ;)

P.S. Sounds like Windows 8 is a bit of a nightmare for those who work/play/tinker on a traditional desktop, being designed mainly for touch screen, tablet type devices.

I agree. Most of the ads for W8 show it being used with a touch-screen. It looks like software designed to convert a £1000 PC into a £200 tablet. Now if they provided a touch-screen with every copy I would think about it but who is going to absorb the massive price hike of a touch screen monitor?

Plus I have thought long and hard about the usability of touch-screen. At the moment I use my hand and wrist to operate the mouse. With the touch-screen I would have to move my whole arm and upper body. With arthritis in the shoulder I can tell you that is agony.

Secondly, my 22" screen monitor is at a comfortable distance for viewing. I would have to bring it nearer to use a touch-screen and it wouldn't be a comfortable viewing distance any more. Progress doesn't always move forward as far as I can see. :stuart:

kam67

Enthusiast
I wonder if custom pc builders like scan, chillblast and PCS will continue to offer the option of configuring pcs with windows 7 installed well into next year... I hope so!

spikopsycho

Enthusiast
I was initially skeptical of using windows 8, but I just switched from Windows 7, and I've gotten used to it just fine.

Honestly, I think I like 8 more than 7. You kinda miss the start button at first, but after ya get used to the mouse gestures (left of screen to switch programs, right for start screen, search, settings, devices) it seems perfectly fine (to me anyway).

You can also have the desktop by clicking the bottom left tile as soon as you log in.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I was initially skeptical of using windows 8, but I just switched from Windows 7, and I've gotten used to it just fine.

Honestly, I think I like 8 more than 7. You kinda miss the start button at first, but after ya get used to the mouse gestures (left of screen to switch programs, right for start screen, search, settings, devices) it seems perfectly fine (to me anyway).

You can also have the desktop by clicking the bottom left tile as soon as you log in.

Start8 from Stardock is only $4.99, it brings back the start bar etc and defaults to desktop start up. Fits in with the look of windows 8 too.

donegal

Bronze Level Poster

I suppose it's what you get used to. I was reluctant to move out of msdos!! when Windows 3.1 was being pushed. I was the same with win95 and 98se. I resisted windows me (thank heavens) and 2000 and eventually took to xp. I think windows 7 is the best of the lot. I haven't had a bsod since installing last year.

With W8, I suppose I will adjust. I have the option of the 14.99 upgrade but I might leave it as long as I can before going ahead.

donegal

Bronze Level Poster
With W8, I suppose I will adjust. I have the option of the 14.99 upgrade but I might leave it as long as I can before going ahead.

I was stimulated into a bit of further research as a result of this thread. It seems the problem with W8 is that it is two OS in one i.e. Metro (all the touch sensitive apps that most ads and examples show) and the normal desktop we are used to. This is to make it familiar to Windows phone users and tablet users. You don't have to use the Metro interface if you don't want to. There is no start button (which seems to cause all sorts of aggro on the forums I have seen) but there are ways around it (pin to task bar etc.).

There was all sorts of ranting and raving over the fact that to shut the computer down you had to go to 'Power' and there were claims this was not intuitive. It was pointed out that to turn off in W7 you had to go to 'Start' which is even less intuitive. There are some hilarious posts around and even the Hitler parodies are in on it (if you know what they are). I had a ball this afternoon.

One user said it was smoother, much quicker, than W7, and they used it in desktop mode all the time. They never saw a touch-tile app. Others are recommending you sell your shares in Microsoft :D

I shall wait and see.

kam67

Enthusiast
Glad you have been stimulated by my thread :)

And yes, I am curious as to how much all the online paroxysms of rage will prove to be a storm in a teacup. ...

Last edited:
i like windows 8. I have a premium account from Microsoft DreamSpark which gives me access to free software like all windows OSs and stuff like visual studios etc. I got Win 8 pro about 2 months ago and i love it. It took about a day to get used to and once i did i found it very good. When i was running Win 7 the boot up time of my laptop was about 2 mins, when i installed Win 8 the boot up time was about 15 secs - a big difference - i would say to anyone to try it and if you don't like it go back to 7.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Does anyone know if you have Retail Windows 7 and upgrade to windows 8 could you then install windows 7 onto another computer or do they run off of a common product key?