Windows 7 Install Problem

cooper795

Hi all,

Let me start by first saying I'm pretty clueless about this whole thing...

But anyway, got my new laptop the other day without windows software as I already have an old win 7 disc.

But when I ordered my laptop I clicked for it to be setup for win 10 as I want to upgrade to that by installing from the win 7 disc.

But now when I put the win 7 disc in my laptop it gets stuck on the 'starting windows' screen after the 'loading windows files' (or whatever it says) screen.

Is this because the laptop is set up for win 10? And any ideas on how I can fix this and install win 7?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

dogbot

Bright Spark
UEFI has now largely replaced the BIOS for new computers with W8 onwards. I do not know much about EUFI but possibly W7 can be installed if secure not is disabled.

If your 'old win 7 disc' was provided with a new computer, it is an OEM disc and can only be used with that computer. If your W7 disc is a retail version (bought separately from a shop or purchased Microsoft download) then it can be used provided it has been unregistered from the previous computer on which it was installed. The qualifying operating systems which can be used to upgrade to W10 are activated versions of W7 SP1 or W8.1. As far as I can see, your problem is likely to be the word activated.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
What laptop is it? I know there are some that won't support Windows 7 without a great deal of messing around.