Windows 8.1 Recover Media for Windows 8.1 Products

tonlev

Silver Level Poster
I have the above as a USB provided with a product key which I purchased with my laptop. However the laptop is being returned to Dell (long story).

My question can this USB be used to install windows 8 on my new laptop which I am ordering from PCS, if so then I can up my spec by not purchasing a new Windows 8 and license and put the savings to a better laptop.

Or is the key specific to the Dell laptop?

mrducking

Bright Spark
mm most probably that windows is tied to the laptop and you wont be able to use it in your new laptop
the problem for checking this is that the only way to know for sure is to use the usb, which if you buy the pc with windows again, it's kind of pointless

tonlev

Silver Level Poster
Ha ha yes my dilemma exactly. Shame because if it worked I would then purchase an 128SSD to go with my 750 WD Scopio Black and maybe more RAM

tonlev

Silver Level Poster
Just a postscript I have been looking through my old disks and have three copies of a Dell Operating System reinstallation Windows 7 Professional 64 bit disks all with licenses but it states on the actually disks 'This software is already installed on your computer (my very older defunct laptop) Use this DVD only to reinstall the operating system on a Dell PC.

I wonder if this would work as I actually prefer Windows 7 to 8.1 and had these disks sent to me at the time of purchase back in 2010. They sent two extras in error but never asked for them back.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just a postscript I have been looking through my old disks and have three copies of a Dell Operating System reinstallation Windows 7 Professional 64 bit disks all with licenses but it states on the actually disks 'This software is already installed on your computer (my very older defunct laptop) Use this DVD only to reinstall the operating system on a Dell PC.

I wonder if this would work as I actually prefer Windows 7 to 8.1 and had these disks sent to me at the time of purchase back in 2010. They sent two extras in error but never asked for them back.

The key will be tied to the hardware of your old dell, so won't be valid, you'll be able to install it fine, but won't be able to activate the license. Windows 8 does away with licensing so you can run it on any device.

tonlev

Silver Level Poster
Wow that is brilliant news SpyderTracks. This Windows 8 disk will work on any laptop So I can change my spec and opt for No Windows Software and my existing windows software will work, back to the drawing board as too how best to upgrade the spec I have been looking at.

Thanks again

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Wow that is brilliant news SpyderTracks. This Windows 8 disk will work on any laptop So I can change my spec and opt for No Windows Software and my existing windows software will work, back to the drawing board as too how best to upgrade the spec I have been looking at.

Thanks again

You said the windows 8.1 usb was simply a recovery disc? If so, that's not a windows install disc, it just contains a few important files relevant to your install in case they get corrupted. I doubt it would contain the actual windows iso.

tonlev

Silver Level Poster
Damn that's a shame they sent me this disk after they changed the motherboard and told me that it was to do a clean install of Windows 8 and the key was for the new motherboard, so I suppose it was too good to hope that it would work, but thanks for your help as always.

On the Installation Instruction leaflet in really small print (supplied with the disk) it states that Dell has a license to distribute the Microsoft operating system below with the attached product key. Then it goes on to say 'This product key only applies to the Microsoft operating system installed on this computer you purchased.

Oh well Never mind

tonlev

Silver Level Poster
I have now finally managed to download the Dell factory backup software and have completed a full factory backup to a USB stick, will I be able to use this to install Windows 8 on a new laptop from PCS?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have now finally managed to download the Dell factory backup software and have completed a full factory backup to a USB stick, will I be able to use this to install Windows 8 on a new laptop from PCS?

2 possible issues will arise transferring windows like that to a different machine:

1/. Driver confliction causing windows not to run stable and therefor needing a reinstall anyway. This is almost a certainty and the reason anyone changing to a new machine would always do a full reinstall.

2/. As it's a dell image it'll recognise the hardware change and invalidate the key.

tonlev

Silver Level Poster
Yup got that SpyderTracks guess I will have to order the new laptop with Windows 8 included in the package.

Thanks