Windows 8.1 update has messed up my pc

dan2690

Bronze Level Poster
Hi i bought a gaming desktop from here a few months ago and I recently have installed windows 8.1 update and have had nothing but problems since. Boot time is incredibly slow i can no longer play games because 360 controller driver doesn't work apps dont work, I cant access certain areas of pc, is any one else having problem with the update.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
All went smoothly(ish) my end. You could try reinstalling W8.

Did you make sure you had ALL windows updates done before you upgraded? That caused me issues.

baron75mk2

Banned
I think its pretty poor that they cant even make it compatible with the 360 drivers - its their OS & their Pad driver !!

How hard would it be for them to say
"humm why not make windows 8 compatible with our own pad driver whilst we are building the os ?"

No we will just be awkward & make everyone buy the new XBOX 1 pad for pc instead & make a ton of money here !!

(whilst all the time knowing that more & more gamers are coming over in droves to pc gaming because of the universal support for microsoft pads & pad gaming in general , lots of players llike the idea of pc performance with the convienience of still being able to play with your favorite pad to boot)

Microsoft the last word in rip offs !!

Glad i stayed with windows 7 (something they actually got right) instead of the pile of poo that is windows 8 .

Oh & just as you start sorting your issues out with windows 8 & get it to where you finally like it - guess what , next year you will have to go through it all again , because instead of releasing an OS every 3 or 4 years & perfecting it (XP) , no we will keep releasing broke a** operating systems every year because we can make tons more money this way !!

If only games manufacturers would code games more often for the other operating systems out there (linux etc)
(& the same for Programs / applications) ,

then microsoft wouldnt have the monopoly that they have these days & couldnt get away with this kind of thing all the time :taz:

Who knows maybe steam os will have a positive effect here & do well , sure does interest me at leased games will be compatible with it & thats a good start in the right direction :eek:

Last edited:

rickne

Master Poster
Im regretting 8.1 immensley. Issue after issue. Now its nvidia drivers not installing correctly. y pc got in such a state i had to use restore points which I had luckily set up. Now Ive found that REFRESH and REINSTALL dont work without the original win 8 disc which I never had. Can anyone else on Win 8.1 press W+windows key , search refresh and see if this happens for you? I used a program to recover my Product key from the system files which was not accepted by microsoft to get the files again to reinstall from sratch. I have the Win 7 disc at home from when I first got this pc ...im very tempted now.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1...se-resetrefresh-if-you-upgrade-to-windows-81/

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
After reading about issues like this I elected to upgrade to 8.1 by performing a clean reinstall of Windows 8 and then upgrading immediately. After installing Win 8 and the latest drivers (previously downloaded) for all my hardware I had to install a bunch of Win 8 updates before the store would offer me the 8.1 upgrade. As soon as it was offered I upgraded this clean system to 8.1 and then installed all my user apps and stuff. So far (and it's only been a day so far ;)) everything runs perfectly well.

I never upgrade an OS, I just don't trust the upgrade process, so I always perform a clean install. There are no shortcuts to a stable system. :)

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster
After reading rickne's post you've put doubt in my mind as I was considering installing it tomorrow as a fresh install, I ordered the new 8.1 retail package on monday.

Is it really giving you major problems because although alot of people slate windows 8 it does have a lot of underlying advantages as im sure you know already which is one of the main reasons I'm looking to upgrade to it.

Would you advise other wise or is it just pot luck if you have problems?

ragingwhisky

Bronze Level Poster
Hi i bought a gaming desktop from here a few months ago and I recently have installed windows 8.1 update and have had nothing but problems since. Boot time is incredibly slow i can no longer play games because 360 controller driver doesn't work apps dont work, I cant access certain areas of pc, is any one else having problem with the update.

Running Win8.1 since it went RTM and only issue so far has been running older Win2000/XP games - which in itself is understandable.

On a personal note, when service pack updates or new operating systems get rolled out I never "upgrade", instead I always opt for "clean install" to the new version e.g. Install Win7 SP1, Install Windows 8.1 e.t.c, as in the past i've found in place upgrades don't seem to run as smoothly as just cleansing the system and installing that version outright.

Likely personal preference but if you had the potential to install Windows 8.1 directly instead of having 8 and doing an upgrade, try it and see if the issue is resolved.

stemar965

I've got serious issues with it as in the pc won't even boot properly! I'm getting this message flag up:

The current BIOS setting do not fully support the boot device.
Click OK to enter the BIOS setup.

Go to Advanced> Boot> CSM Parameters, and adjust the CSM (compatibility Support Module) settings to enable the boot device.

HELP!!!!! I have no idea what that means though i've gone into the BIOS and had a look at the CSM settings but there's various options and none of which i understand. I had no idea doing the update would cause issues like this, is there any way i can roll my PC back to the win 8 install where it worked near perfectly other than the occasional freeze (something that happened from day 1) from time to time ?

Currently it's just stuck on the BIOS screen not doing anything so would REALLY appreciate a solution to this ASAP.

Many, many thanks.

stemar965

finally managed to het it going by a combination of luck and trying out a windows refresh via the windows 8 cd.

never again!