Windows 8.1 - worth it?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Coming from a large mainframe background where thousands of users are served concurrently one learns to be cautious and disciplined. It's also not wise in that environment to always be leading edge either. These philosophies have rubbed of on me to such an extent that I run my own computers much the same way. :)

So what I'm looking for is some unbiased and honest input from those who have upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. I'm not too fussed about the upgrade process itself, it is what it is, but I'd be very interested to know whether 8.1 brings sufficient new features, performance benefits and usability improvements to make it a priority upgrade for me. Currently I plan to hold off for a couple of months to give the various hardware and software vendors time to get updated drivers and other software fully 8.1 compliant, but how long I hold off is a function of how much good stuff is in 8.1.

So, in a nutshell, is Windows 8.1 worth upgrading to?

Many thanks! :)

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Well, to answer that you must first tell us what it is you didn't like about W8, surely?

I'll do a review later today though :)

salg04086

Silver Level Poster
Well, to answer that you must first tell us what it is you didn't like about W8, surely?

I'll do a review later today though :)

I have only used Windows 8.1 for a couple of days but overall I am happy with the OS. The Windows Start menu is back and if you right-click on the start button you get options

Task Manager
Control Panel
Command Prompt
Disk Management
Network Connections
Device Manager
System Manager
Event Viewer
Power Options
Program and Features
You can also shut-down or log off so you don't need to move the mouse over to the charms menu.

The other great feature is if you right click on the taskbar and go into properties is the option to boot straight into the Desktop.
Booting times are about the same as windows 8 so with fast boot you should be able to boot straight into desktop within 15 seconds.

As I did an upgrade from the windows store this took an hour including the time to download the update which is around 3.5GB

All applications are working including

ITunes
Cyberlink Blu Ray
Audio
Printer and software
Steam Account and all games
Ubisoift Games
Uplay games all three vendors are giving the usual patches and downloads on startup

You must download all the latest software form Nvidia or AMD for your GPU including the latest drivers for 8.1

I have had five updates to 8.1 from windows update so far on the first day.

AI suite downloaded an update straight away for the Network I control feature on the first bootup.

Logitech software is working with no problems to report.
Bose software and speakers working fully.
Virtual machine seems to be running fine as well.

My thoughts
Much better than windows 8 for the following reasons

Start Button is back and you now have a lot of the features back on the start menu if you right click.
If you click the down arrow on the screen you can see you r entire list of installed applications so you don't need to mess around looking for your applications.
The fact that you can boot into desktop instead of the UI screen.
You have more options in term of the tile sizes and an easier way to sort and name them into groups.

Hope this helps anyone whom is thinking of upgrading.

salg04086

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Nathanjrb, I'll be interested in your review, thanks. :) Actually I do like Windows 8 and there's little that I don't like now that I've got used to it. I'm more interested in finding out what extra goodies Windows 8.1 will give me. I'm happy to stay with 8 for a while yet though, especially is it seems that there are driver incompatibilities and possibly other third-party issues at the moment.

Salg04086, that's really helpful. Many thanks. For me there still doesn't seem to be much to recommend it feature-wise. I already boot to the desktop, I already have a Start button and I have the Windows 7 style menu, so finding applications is no problem at all. To be honest I don't expect much in the way of new features, what I'd be interested in is performance improvements (not that 8 isn't quick because it is) and the like.

I've read lots of reviews on 8.1 and as a desktop (and non-Metro interface) user I don't see much in 8.1 to get excited about. That's why I'm asking the knowledgeable folks on here who already have it what they think. :)

gaaron

Silver Level Poster
salg04086;239247Much better than windows 8 for the following reasons Start Button is back and you now have a lot of the features back on the start menu if you right click. If you click the down arrow on the screen you can see you r entire list of installed applications so you don't need to mess around looking for your applications. The fact that you can boot into desktop instead of the UI screen. You have more options in term of the tile sizes and an easier way to sort and name them into groups. Hope this helps anyone whom is thinking of upgrading. salg04086[/QUOTE said:
Hi I only received my Vortex a few days ago, with win 8 os so was/am still going through a learning experience. However I have upgraded to win 8.1 & agree with salg04086.
However, on my desktop screen it states on the bottom left corner - 'secure boot is not configured correctly'. I have searched online - it appears that others have the same. I can't find info onto fixing the prob as yet.

ragingwhisky

Bronze Level Poster
You could argue the Start button isn't back at all, the functionality of the "Start" icon in W8.1 is identical to that of "Right click in the corner" of W8 :)

Having had time since the RTM to get used to it, pretty much the main takeaways are:
1) Boot to desktop as default
2) The "Snap" feature now allows you to specify how much space the Windows Apps share on the screen instead of the original "all or nothing" style approach in W8. A good example is running a film through the "VIDEO" app at 1/3rd the screen real estate, whilst the last 2/3rds of the desktop are cleverly left intact, but adjusted to fit the 1/3rd loss - if you get chimes through lync, skype or open a web page, none of those acts interfere with the segment playing your video. Pretty good way to watch your favourite shows whilst working from home without having to constantly close down VLC to make room.
3) DirectX 11.2 - the tiling features to utilise system ram alongside the GPU....this will be interesting

Bishybarnybee

Bronze Level Poster
I only upgraded my laptop 8.1 yesterday so still exploring (won't be doing the Desktop until I have a lot more confidence in the stability).

Main advantage for me so far is being able to easily move my SkyDrive from its default position on the C drive to my data drive (using the Properties/Location/Move process) just like you can for the other User folders.

Under Win 8 you could only move it by uninstalling the SkyDrive and reinstalling as location could only be specified at the Setup stage.

Saves cluttering up the SSD with user data. :)

salg04086

Silver Level Poster
Nathanjrb, I'll be interested in your review, thanks. :) Actually I do like Windows 8 and there's little that I don't like now that I've got used to it. I'm more interested in finding out what extra goodies Windows 8.1 will give me. I'm happy to stay with 8 for a while yet though, especially is it seems that there are driver incompatibilities and possibly other third-party issues at the moment.

Salg04086, that's really helpful. Many thanks. For me there still doesn't seem to be much to recommend it feature-wise. I already boot to the desktop, I already have a Start button and I have the Windows 7 style menu, so finding applications is no problem at all. To be honest I don't expect much in the way of new features, what I'd be interested in is performance improvements (not that 8 isn't quick because it is) and the like.

I've read lots of reviews on 8.1 and as a desktop (and non-Metro interface) user I don't see much in 8.1 to get excited about. That's why I'm asking the knowledgeable folks on here who already have it what they think. :)

In terms of speed and look, general features I think performance is the same
I am finding system resources on a similar par with windows 8
I really think the upgrade is worth doing but I also agree with you that it might be a good idea to wait a few weeks to the upgrade to allow application vendors some time to produce software.
I have a friend whom had to install software for their Corseair Link Fan software so you may wish to check if this is going to be a problem.

Salg04086

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The responses so far are pretty much what I expected. My take from you guys (and what I read in the media) so far is that there is little new functionality that I would use (as a desktop user running Start8) to make it worth me making 8.1 a priority upgrade. I will go that way in time of course but I'm still tempted to wait a month or two. Does anyone disagree with that?

salg04086

Silver Level Poster
The responses so far are pretty much what I expected. My take from you guys (and what I read in the media) so far is that there is little new functionality that I would use (as a desktop user running Start8) to make it worth me making 8.1 a priority upgrade. I will go that way in time of course but I'm still tempted to wait a month or two. Does anyone disagree with that?

I think there is nothing wrong with waiting.. I think if you upgrade generally you should be okay...but certain software could be a problem depending on what applications you have installed on your system. Lucky for me so far so good

Nothing wrong with being cautious!!! After all look at the issues consumers are facing with the IOS 7 Upgrade if you have an IPhone 4 There have been a lot of complaints...:yes:

rickne

Master Poster
You could argue the Start button isn't back at all, the functionality of the "Start" icon in W8.1 is identical to that of "Right click in the corner" of W8 :)

Having had time since the RTM to get used to it, pretty much the main takeaways are:
1) Boot to desktop as default
2) The "Snap" feature now allows you to specify how much space the Windows Apps share on the screen instead of the original "all or nothing" style approach in W8. A good example is running a film through the "VIDEO" app at 1/3rd the screen real estate, whilst the last 2/3rds of the desktop are cleverly left intact, but adjusted to fit the 1/3rd loss - if you get chimes through lync, skype or open a web page, none of those acts interfere with the segment playing your video. Pretty good way to watch your favourite shows whilst working from home without having to constantly close down VLC to make room.
3) DirectX 11.2 - the tiling features to utilise system ram alongside the GPU....this will be interesting

Hense why Start8 was such a good investment. :)

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Unfortunately my feedback will have to wait - my PC is out of action until Tuesday as I'm waiting for clips to arrive so I can attach my fans to my new cooler!

Androcles

Rising Star
I only upgraded my laptop 8.1 yesterday so still exploring (won't be doing the Desktop until I have a lot more confidence in the stability).

Main advantage for me so far is being able to easily move my SkyDrive from its default position on the C drive to my data drive (using the Properties/Location/Move process) just like you can for the other User folders.

Under Win 8 you could only move it by uninstalling the SkyDrive and reinstalling as location could only be specified at the Setup stage.

Saves cluttering up the SSD with user data. :)

erm ... http://www.zdnet.com/dont-move-your-windows-user-profiles-folder-to-another-drive-7000022142/