Windows 8.1

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
It downloaded, then asked to restart, which I did, and now it seems I'm stuck in a boot loop.

No signal to the monitor.
Pc beeps once, then just stays on
After a while 3-5mins later it starts all over again.

Guess I'll try access safe mode or something......

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Held down the power switch. Turned back on again. It restarted and did the same thing. But then after 2 cycles it loaded as normal. Then I got an error message "Could not upgrade to 8.1, we have restored a previous version" or something along those lines.

Guess I'll try again.....

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
OK....

I've found this:

"Important

if you leave your PC before it's ready to restart, be sure to save your work and close any desktop apps you're using to make sure you don't lose anything when it restarts automatically. Your PC might need to restart more than once, depending on how it’s set up, and whether additional updates are needed.

Restarting will take longer than usual—from 20 minutes to about an hour—while the update is applied. During this time, you won't be able to use your PC."

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial#update

Would be nice to know that BEFORE it restarts. I guess I'll just leave it then....

Tom DWC

Did it earlier, 20 minutes sounds about right, and it does reboot about 3 times - but it should be sending a signal to the monitor with the blue windows icon and a loading circle underneath with some text to tell you what it's doing etc.

If it's just blank that seems a bit weird. But yeah could just leave it for an hour or so and see if it completes it okay.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Oh really? I don't get anything, just a black screen and no signal.... I'll give it an hour and see how it goes. Although with my specs I would be surprised if it takes an hour!

GoldenBen

windows 8.1? windows 8.0 is more than enough hassle at times lol. Scared to download it encase something goes wrong

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Well I left it overnight and when I checked this morning it was exactly the same - just a black screen with no signal. Switched off and on and a message "restoring previous version of windows".

I'm stumped :/

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Good luck!

I just checked and I was behind with a few windows updates - I delayed them because I had driver problems with my GPU last time. Updated and update seems to be going ahead normally!

rickne

Master Poster
Installed fine. It ran a system test on second boot but after that all was normal. Even my Metro apps worked again YAY. May remove the start 8 app to see the windows start menu (not that im expecting any difference. Otherwise plane sailing.

EDIT: Found a bug. I can't move desktop icons. Just get the little circle with a line through it.

EDIT 2 : Bug caused by not updating the stardock app FENCES. All sorted now. :)

Last edited:

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Great stuff, thanks for the info.

I'm at work now and I left my PC stuck at 3% this morning..... hopefully will be done when I get in.

rickne

Master Poster
Ive noticed performance dips in some games. I know there is an option for 8.1 in the drivers drop down but will revert to release drivers and see if its the beta nvidia driver it doesnt like. Could even be a power setting. Ill let you know.

Tom DWC

Ive noticed performance dips in some games. I know there is an option for 8.1 in the drivers drop down but will revert to release drivers and see if its the beta nvidia driver it doesnt like. Could even be a power setting. Ill let you know.

I think the update does reset the Windows power plans, purely cause of the way I have my overclock voltage set (I'd changed the high performance setting to allow the CPU to downclock on idle, by default high performance prevents this and overrides all BIOS settings).

After the update the CPU was constantly running at 4.3GHz again, had to go back in and change it.

Not sure if there's a setting in Balanced etc. for graphics performance, might be worth a look.

I just checked and I was behind with a few windows updates - I delayed them because I had driver problems with my GPU last time. Updated and update seems to be going ahead normally!

Fingers crossed that was probably it. Windows should probably check that before it starts the update. Windows store not communicating with Windows update, how very Windows 8. :D

Last edited:

rickne

Master Poster
I think the update does reset the Windows power plans, purely cause of the way I have my overclock voltage set (I'd changed the high performance setting to allow the CPU to downclock on idle, by default high performance prevents this and overrides all BIOS settings).

After the update the CPU was constantly running at 4.3GHz again, had to go back in and change it.

Not sure if there's a setting in Balanced etc. for graphics performance, might be worth a look.

Fingers crossed that was probably it. Windows should probably check that before it starts the update. Windows store not communicating with Windows update, how very Windows 8. :D

Had a quick browse through the power settings and all seems in order. at least in a default state. Everything is 100% for high and half n half for balanced. Battlefield 3 works perfectly.

On a similar note however Nvidia control panel set my Optimus to Auto select again. Rather than default to use my 680m. Hense some of the slow down. :) The HD 4000 doesnt do too badly but Id hate to be stuck with it.

Last edited:

Everon

Enthusiast
No major problems with the update apart from:

Raxco has delayed updating perfectdisk to version 13, meaning it is incompatible at the moment.

Windows event log gives the error "the system could not find the file specified" when trying to look at administrative logs. I can still see the logs just fine though.

salg04086

Silver Level Poster
Good luck!

Hello nathanjrb

IWindows 8.1 upgrade will work as long as you have all updates installed in windows 8...I read somewhere on a review on PC Pro magazine. I have completed mine within an hour pc works great no problems
Steam games, Logitech software, Ai Suite, Ubisoft Blu ray software by Cyberlink ITunes is all working no problem at all. I reckon if you have completed the updates should work fine

Fingers crossed!!!!

salg04086