Windows 8 issues - new laptop

Smiggy

Hello everyone. I just purchased a new laptop recently, and had nothing but unpleasent issues with those annoying Blue error messages:

"kernel_data_inpage_error" and "irql_not_less_or_equal" plus many more.

It's brand new. Any ideas? I have already ran chkdsk, Windows Diagnostic Tools, scan /f and more - all results have come back fine. Unfortunately, I am working from Monday to Thursdays past 5pm. So, the only chance I can speak with technical support is on a Friday. Any help here on the forums would be mostly appreciated.

Also, where can I download the Bluetooth drives and for the internal webcam? There were no drivers installed originally and no application to work them.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That BSOD error is almost always a bad or missing driver. Did PCS pre-install Windows 8 for you or did you install that yourself? If you installed it yourself the drivers are all on a CD that came with the laptop. The one you want is the Combo BT Driver, it's listed under Optional Drivers in the supplied CD program menu. If you don't have the CD you can download all the drivers from the Clevo website at http://clevo.com/en/e-services/download.asp, you'll need to know the Clevo model number which is on the bottom of the laptop.

Smiggy

That BSOD error is almost always a bad or missing driver. Did PCS pre-install Windows 8 for you or did you install that yourself? If you installed it yourself the drivers are all on a CD that came with the laptop. The one you want is the Combo BT Driver, it's listed under Optional Drivers in the supplied CD program menu. If you don't have the CD you can download all the drivers from the Clevo website at http://clevo.com/en/e-services/download.asp, you'll need to know the Clevo model number which is on the bottom of the laptop.

Hi ubuysa,

Thanks for your response.

It was pre-installed and I've already installed all drivers again, but still the same issue. The blue errors is always different.

The driver for the BT it's saying the device needs to be turned on first. How do you do that? I've heard it's FN+F12, but nothing.

How do you use the internal webcam? I know it's FN+F10 to enable it, but how do you use access it?

dogbot

Bright Spark
The webcam should have an icon on the desktop to open it.

Did the wifi/ BT driver actually install. My wifi supposedly did not exist (did not turn on with hotkey) and the driver had to be installed manually in Device Manager.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Perhaps the easiest way to test the webcam is via Skype. That's how I checked mine. You should also check (and upgrade if possible) the Hotkey software. That will allow you to switch the wifi on and off and also switch the webcam on and off.

The other possibility for your BSODs is flaky RAM. Download Memtest, extract the ISO file, burn it to a CD, and then boot from that CD. Memtest will start running immediately. Let it run overnight (you need as many test runs as possible). If there are any errors reported in the morning then test each RAM card on it's own.

Also follow dogbot's advice about making sure the driver is actually installed.

Smiggy

The webcam should have an icon on the desktop to open it.

Did the wifi/ BT driver actually install. My wifi supposedly did not exist (did not turn on with hotkey) and the driver had to be installed manually in Device Manager.

What would HotKey show as under Device Manager?

dogbot

Bright Spark
I can only relate my experience with a Vortex III. When installing the wifi driver, the wifi needs to be turned on using the hotkey but unfortunately this did not work. When attempting to install the driver I had a popup saying that 'no device was installed' (or words to that effect). I had to go to the Device Manager, where the device had been recognised, to install the driver by pointing to the location on the disc. After installing the driver, the hotkey worked as it should and was able to turn the wifi on and off. I don't use BT but believe both drivers are within the same folder on the disc.

rickne

Master Poster
Never had a bison cam program on my lappy. I had to install an external app. OR Windows 8 has plenty of options in the Metro interface.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
What would HotKey show as under Device Manager?

It doesn't, it's not a device driver, it's more of a system management program. You should have an icon in the system try for it, when you mouse over the icon all it does is give you the version number, nothing else (which is a bit dumb). Right-clicking does nothing but a single left click opens the Hoteky dialog box where you can turn the wifi and camera on and off and set the brightness etc. etc.