Windows help

I am not quite sure under which heading to post this - so here goes, and hope I get a pointer in the right direction.

I am a writer who has taken time out to look after my seriously ill husband, who has now passed away a month ago. At the height of my writing I was using in the 90s to the middle of 2004 Win XP Pro where I stored all my manuscripts in the word programme which was installed with that system.

In 2010 I had my now PC built for me and I wanted Win 7 Pro which is what I have now, and to be honest at my age, I don't intend changing, this will see me out, as they say.

My files are placed in this computer under my 'old docs' fine and dandy, however, when I try to open one of them the message appears on my screen telling me that windows can't ascertain which programme was used for said files. It offers a choice of opening within the computer or going to the net for the system to chose an appropriate file to open these files with.

Can someone please tell me what this means, and how do I go about it since I have no idea which programme would have been used other than my guess at the time of typing these it would have been whatever was installed within Win XP Pro.

I realize you may not be able to help, but I think someone with more pc savvy than me, might have a better guess.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I am not quite sure under which heading to post this - so here goes, and hope I get a pointer in the right direction.

I am a writer who has taken time out to look after my seriously ill husband, who has now passed away a month ago. At the height of my writing I was using in the 90s to the middle of 2004 Win XP Pro where I stored all my manuscripts in the word programme which was installed with that system.

In 2010 I had my now PC built for me and I wanted Win 7 Pro which is what I have now, and to be honest at my age, I don't intend changing, this will see me out, as they say.

My files are placed in this computer under my 'old docs' fine and dandy, however, when I try to open one of them the message appears on my screen telling me that windows can't ascertain which programme was used for said files. It offers a choice of opening within the computer or going to the net for the system to chose an appropriate file to open these files with.

Can someone please tell me what this means, and how do I go about it since I have no idea which programme would have been used other than my guess at the time of typing these it would have been whatever was installed within Win XP Pro.

I realize you may not be able to help, but I think someone with more pc savvy than me, might have a better guess.
Firstly, my sincere condolences on your loss, my heart goes out to you. Writing can be an incredibly powerful medium to channel grief.

All it means is that windows doesn’t have a default app associated with that file type.

This can be because:

a. There is no program installed that can read that file extension.

b. The default app assignment in windows has been changed by accident.

So firstly, what filetype is it you’re trying to open?

By default windows will hide file extensions, you can show them in the method below:

Firstly, my sincere condolences on your loss, my heart goes out to you. Writing can be an incredibly powerful medium to channel grief.

All it means is that windows doesn’t have a default app associated with that file type.

This can be because:

a. There is no program installed that can read that file extension.

b. The default app assignment in windows has been changed by accident.

So firstly, what filetype is it you’re trying to open?

By default windows will hide file extensions, you can show them in the method below:

Hi there, yes I love writing and it can be a very solitary occupation but I love it and had to stop doing it for a while now. I'll have to come back to you with the file type as I have some people coming to the house for a while this evening, thanks for the explanation too.