Windows Randomly not Loading & wireless keyboard randomly stops working

john coomey872

Bronze Level Poster
Ever since windows 11 decided to install itself on my machine I have had issues with my computer randomly not loading up correctly,

It would load as per normal to the destop and I can start using Firefox or Chrome for a about 30 seconds and then is stops responding. I try to access the "C" drive and it doesn't show any of my drives under "This PC" and nothing seems to be happening, when I restart the computer it takes about 5 minutes or more to get through the shut down process. This isn't happening every time I turn on my computer maybe every 3 or 4 times (I am not using it as much at the moment)

I have done a complete reinstall of windows and limited what software is installed to avoid any conflicts.

Secondly, I am only assuming it is connected so it could be just a coincidence. I have a Logitech wireless keyboard that random stops working or has long delays from input to result on screen. I have new batteries and updated the drivers.

Has anyone else experienced these issues, the start up issues never happens on my laptop which is also running windows 11.

The only hardware changes I have made recently is adding another secondary HDD, which is the same make and model as the one that came with my machine

Thanks in advance for you help

Machine Specs:

Case

CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 500D SE CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.8GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 Ti - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre European Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i RGB PRO XT Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Its not full at at all, 335 GB free currently
It may be worth using Samsung magician just to check the health of the drive.

If that comes back clean, it's never a good idea to upgrade an OS, always better to do a clean install as upgrades often cause issues.

john coomey872

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for the help SpyderTracks,

I did do a complete reinstall of Windows 11, downloading Windows from Microsoft directly.

Ill try Samsung magician now and will report back

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I have done a complete reinstall of windows and limited what software is installed to avoid any conflicts.
What does 'limited what software is installed' mean?
How did you reinstall? Did you install from bootable media?
Did you delete all UEFI partitions during the install?
Did you run Windows Update post-install, and across any reboots, until no more updates were found?
Did you then check in Device Manager that all devices had a valid driver (no yellow triangles)?

john coomey872

Bronze Level Poster
Hi Ubuysa

What does 'limited what software is installed' mean? --- Sorry I just meant programs that I would normally use. I only installed things as I needed them. I didn't just instantly istall every bit of software I had on it before the reinstall.
How did you reinstall? Did you install from bootable media? ---- I used a bootable USB
Did you delete all UEFI partitions during the install? --- There were no partitions on the "C" Drive to the best of my knowledge
Did you reinstall Win10 or Win11? ---- I reinstalled Windows 11
Did you run Windows Update post-install, and across any reboots, until no more updates were found? ---- Yes
Did you then check in Device Manager that all devices had a valid driver (no yellow triangles)? ------- Yes

john coomey872

Bronze Level Poster
@SpyderTracks I ran samsung magician and the drive is healthy but is did say I needed a Firmware update on the Drive, which has now been completed.
As I dont know how to recreate the issue, I have to see over the next day or week if this was the solution

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Did you delete all UEFI partitions during the install? --- There were no partitions on the "C" Drive to the best of my knowledge
There should be 3 partitions on the c drive, when you do a clean install, you need to delete them all

1690534610010.png

instructions for clean install below:

Download a new copy of Windows using the Media Creation Tool (Second option on linked page) to an 8GB (min) USB.
Boot that USB and choose a Custom Install.
Delete all UEFI partitions on the system drive (EFI System, Recovery, MSR Reserved, Primary).
Select the unallocated space that results and click the Next button. The installer will create the correct partitions and install Windows.
Run Windows Update repeatedly, even across reboots, until no more updates are found.
You may need/want to download and install the latest graphics driver from the Nvidia/AMD website (they change so regularly the latest version isn't always in the Windows libraries).

This is also worth a watch

john coomey872

Bronze Level Poster
Finaly I got the chance to clean reinstaIl again BUT did a major boo boo @Martinr36 I did the following step:

"Delete all UEFI partitions on the system drive (EFI System, Recovery, MSR Reserved, Primary)."#

But it seems I should have looked closer as I did it for the other 2 hard drives in my system and now I can not access the files on them.

I had to first turn them on in the BIOS and then when I allocated letters (without formatting) it tells me I have to format the drives...
From what I can work out I have cleared/deleted the files on the Hard drives during the windows reinstall and need to use some software to retrieve the info. What is the best solution to retieve my data?

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Finaly I got the chance to clean reinstaIl again BUT did a major boo boo @Martinr36 I did the following step:

"Delete all UEFI partitions on the system drive (EFI System, Recovery, MSR Reserved, Primary)."#

But it seems I should have looked closer as I did it for the other 2 hard drives in my system and now I can not access the files on them.

I had to first turn them on in the BIOS and then when I allocated letters (without formatting) it tells me I have to format the drives...
From what I can work out I have cleared/deleted the files on the Hard drives during the windows reinstall and need to use some software to retrieve the info. What is the best solution to retieve my data?
You mean you didn't have them backed up somewhere like Dropbox or onedrive, having deleted the partitions I'm afraid if you hadn't got them backed up then they are gone

john coomey872

Bronze Level Poster
It was never my intention to delete from the D and E Drive just the C drive.. Oh man.. I have an externnal back up but not up to the minute one. I was using my D drive as a back up of the C for an easy transfer after the installation.

To make things worse, it is all in vain, the issue of window freezing/taking 10 minutes to load even, still persisits.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It was never my intention to delete from the D and E Drive just the C drive.. Oh man.. I have an externnal back up but not up to the minute one. I was using my D drive as a back up of the C for an easy transfer after the installation.

To make things worse, it is all in vain, the issue of window freezing/taking 10 minutes to load even, still persisits.
Have you installed any software?

john coomey872

Bronze Level Poster
Drivers:
Brother Printer,
Wacom tablet
Remote software:
Teradic,
team viewer
Misc:
Asus Armoury Crate
Eset Security
Firefox
Chrome
Steam
Nvidia Expereince
Stella Data Recovery

That is about all I have installed,

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Drivers:
Brother Printer,
Wacom tablet
Remote software:
Teradic,
team viewer
Misc:
Asus Armoury Crate
Eset Security
Firefox
Chrome
Steam
Nvidia Expereince
Stella Data Recovery

That is about all I have installed,
The idea is to test the clean install before installing software.

You need to fully uninstall Asus Armory Crate and Eset Seurity as a start as they're known performance hinderers.

john coomey872

Bronze Level Poster
I have just bit the bullet and went with a clean install AGAIN to test it as systematically as I can.. Only installed Chrome..
The difficulty diagnosing the problem is that the issue is not repeatable. Its totally random from what I can see, so all I can do is restart the computer over and over until the issue arises. So If I am never sure if it is fixed

Its is such a strange bug that I can explain it. I can use a Firefox but a the same time when I try to access the C drive or any drives, windows explorer would hang. Then when I try to restart it can take up to 10 minutes to restart.

I have Eset on my machine for years without issue. I doubt it is that unless there is an issue with Win11 that hasn't been fixed

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have just bit the bullet and went with a clean install AGAIN to test it as systematically as I can.. Only installed Chrome..
The difficulty diagnosing the problem is that the issue is not repeatable. Its totally random from what I can see, so all I can do is restart the computer over and over until the issue arises. So If I am never sure if it is fixed

Its is such a strange bug that I can explain it. I can use a Firefox but a the same time when I try to access the C drive or any drives, windows explorer would hang. Then when I try to restart it can take up to 10 minutes to restart.

I have Eset on my machine for years without issue. I doubt it is that unless there is an issue with Win11 that hasn't been fixed
Likely ESET, there's a reason why 3rd party AV's are no longer really a thing.