Windows stuttering/lagging

Agito

Silver Level Poster
I'd bet my money on it being dust. Before I sold my last laptop I only had it for 'round 6 months from brand new. The amount of dust on the processor fan was astonishing. I live clean and that was pretty amazing to see.

On a side note, I want to see you carrying a desktop every day to your mates place to play games. It is not practical to own a desktop for a student. Obviously I just based all this on an asumtion that the OP is a student, but nevermind that. hah

Buzz

Master
I'd bet my money on it being dust

Yeh I was saying to clean it out also. Its a very big possibility its a dust build up. Laptops are notorious for it and thus overheat and cause issues.

timabb

I have cleaned it and there was really no dust.
The laptop only worked well for about 3months, if that.
Do you think i could get a refund because it doesnt work as it should?

Buzz

Master
I have a Desktop, and I got it from PCs, but I have built a lot of comps in the past and fixed lot laptops etc. Personally speaking I have very little negative things to say about PCs. As your comp is still under warranty (7 months old you say) I would stick with PCs, and just give them a call and explain that your unhappy with the performance of the laptop since day one. Explain the situation, even point them to your posts since you got the first computer here in the forums and see if/how they can help. When I had to ring them (PCs tech support) I got onto Jack who was extremely helpful and patient.

timabb

Iv just sent them a email telling informing them on the situation and that it the second time they sent it back and it still doesnt work. Buzz thank you so much u have really tryed to help
Overall what do you think the problem is?

Buzz

Master
Your welcome mate. Just a pity it couldnt be resolved fully.

Its hard to tell really without testing the individual hardware itself and actually seeing the system. Its running an overclock according to your screen shots and IMO as I said it is running pretty hot for Idle temps so if I was to have a guess solely going on that I would say its possible you have a faulty MB/processor or the cooling is not up to scratch.

But again that would be guesswork without actually seeing the system myself.

M3zxu

Silver Level Poster
I'll make something clear: Sandy Bridge Cpus in laptops cannot be overclocked. (aside from the most expensive one) If it's not running it's specified clocks that already is a problem. The only thing that can be done is to use software mods to increase the thermal values so the CPU will run on turbo/max frequency even if it reaches the normal throttling temperature.

Buzz

Master
Yes, Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM Processor (6M Cache, up to 2.90 GHz) runs at the clock of 2.Ghz and with Turbo it can be overclocked to a 2.9Ghz. Using Turbo in effect is overclocking it. If Turbo is on it will overclock it automatically to a higher frequency and multiplier. The problem is, as you say above, it shouldn't be running on the higher frequency when turbo has been disabled and should run at max of 2Ghz.

M3zxu

Silver Level Poster
@buzz, yes and no
Firstly, turbo disables cores not in use in order to overclock the ones in use to keep thermal emissions at a constant level. Secondly, it is a feature in the processor and specced for it, not a user made modification.

But it doesn't really matter... my i7 2670qm even at running full downclock to 800mhz produces no stutter in Windows 7 at all.

Buzz

Master
@buzz, yes and no
Firstly, turbo disables cores not in use in order to overclock the ones in use to keep thermal emissions at a constant level. Secondly, it is a feature in the processor and specced for it, not a user made modification.

But it doesn't really matter... my i7 2670qm even at running full downclock to 800mhz produces no stutter in Windows 7 at all.

Turbo wont disable anything, all it does is fluctuate the overclock and not have it fully clocked the whole time. It will still use ALL cores. And the higher the load the higher the frequency. The Higher the frequency the higher the heat will be. As the pic previously showed his frequency on high with a low load. Yes its a feature with the processor. I do overclocking myself. My 3.5 is overclocked to a 4.8ghz, But with Turbo enabled and it with low load shouldn't be then showing the high frequency and multiplier. Also with the CPU power options we previously changed his CPU shouldn't go above 95%.