Windows stuttering/lagging

timabb

Hi, Im new to the forum but could do with some help.
I have sent my laptop back to pcspecist 2s. The first time they said there was no problem and the second they changed the motherboard.
Affter getting back my laptop it was still not working.
I reinstalled windows cleanly to make sure and just to start anew.
Windows stutters when ever i do somthing or then it has to load anything. for example, when i type, open or close a window of any kind, open or close a new tap, load a new website, watch videos, play games. The sound doesnt laggs just the display.
My Av is microsoft essentials
My specs
Optimus II: 17.3" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2630QM (2.00GHz) 6MB Cache
Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 500GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT HYBRID, SATA 3 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
2nd Hard Disk NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive-SONY BD-5730S 6x BLURAY WRITER & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE
Memory Card Reader- Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Sound Card- Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities- GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1102 WIRELESS 802.11N - IDEAL FOR ONLINE GAMING
USB Options- 4 PORT USB 2.0 EXTERNAL HUB + STANDARD USB PORTS
Battery- Optimus Series 6 Cell Lithium-ION Battery - 48.85WH
Power Lead & Adaptor- 1 x UK Power Lead & 90W Adaptor (GT 540M) / 120W Adaptor (GT 555M)
Operating System Genuine- Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence

Any ideas would be helpfull.
Thanks
Timabb

Agito

Silver Level Poster
The way I see it, there is a background process thats causing this. You said you reinstalled OS, did you format the HDD?

Agito

Silver Level Poster
In my non-expert, self taught, opinion, you're having processor problems. Did anyone, or yourself, try overclocking or anything of that kind? I've seen people overclocking their processors incorrectly, thinking more GHZ the better, ending up with i7's that run like Pentium 4's.

timabb

I am getting a warning in the event log saying "The speed of processor 7 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report." it says this for each of my processors 0-7.

Agito

Silver Level Poster
Meh... I have no clue then if I can come up with a DIY fix. I still think its the processor acting up.

PS: I was writing this before you spoke out about your processor, I dont want to come off as a captain obvious.

Last edited:

Agito

Silver Level Poster
Hmm... I don't know if you are capable and if this voids your warranty or not, but I'd try opening the innards and cleaning up the dust. There is a possibility of overheating.

Buzz

Master
Did you try put your BIOS to default settings??
On startup press Del (may be different for your system)
Once in the Bios Press F5 then F10 to save and exit.

Did you try updating your chipset drivers?? See below

Intel auto update

Double check your GPU drivers

Nvidia Auto update

timabb

It says
Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility (Chipset INF)
Product Detected Intel® HM65 Express Chipset Family
Current Version Installed 9.2.0.1021
This version is valid.

Graphics Driver
Product Detected Intel® Processor Graphics 3000
Current Driver Installed 8.15.10.2696
Your driver is current.

Buzz

Master
Start - Control panel - power options

Set your power management to maximum performance.

Click start and in the search box type

chkdsk /f and press enter. When the Cmd box open press Y and Enter and restart your comp.

After restart

Click start and type Cmd
Right click: "Command Prompt"
Click: "Run as Administrator".
Click past the UAC Screen.
In the Command Prompt Type: sfc /scannow and press "Enter"

It might or might not need your Windows Installation Disk in case it needs to fix something. It will let you know if it does.

Download and install Core temp and monitor your temps

CoreTemp Download

Let me know what kinda temps are being recorded.

Last edited:

timabb

All ready on maximum performance
Command prompt said no problems
Here at the temps
CoreTemp-Scr.png

Buzz

Master
Have you tried cleaning the fans and the comp. 60° odd is pretty high with only an 8% load.

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2630QM (2.00GHz) 6MB Cache

Your CPU is running an overclock. Its at a frequency of almost 3Ghz. and a multiplier of x29. This is probably the problem.

Did you try put your BIOS to default settings??

Press delete on startup to enter the Bios. Once in the Bios see if you have an option to save the Bios profile. If you do save it.

Then to set default Bios settings its usually done by pressing

F5 to restore Defaults
F10 to save
Then exit.

If you can do this then post another screenshot of your Core temp results.

Pls note that after changing the BIOS settings to default you may or may not have certain options enabled or disabled that need to be changed. This can be done after pretty easy once we find out the cause of your error.

Last edited:

Buzz

Master
Go into Power options (Control panel ~ Power Options) and click Change plan settings near your plan (high performance)
Then click on Change advanced power settings.
Scroll down to Processor power management and expand it.
Expand Minimum processor state and modify both On battery and Plugged in to 5%.
Expand Maximum processor state and modify both On battery and Plugged in to 95%.
Then simply click Apply and OK.

And that CPU as I said according to your first post is a 2Ghz Processor. The default clock speed is 2Ghz with Max Turbo Frequency of 2.9Ghz

How old is the computer? I would try cleaning out the fans.

Does your clock frequency in core temp fluctuate up and down?

Let me know again please after a restart and a clean and above, the frequency and temps from Core Temp

Tnx

Louis Roscommon

Get a desktop for gaming as laptops heat up very quickly and cause the cpu, memory and gpu to slow down. Laptops are for lawyers and doctors who use microsoft word and excel. If it was me I would smash the thing up into a thousand pieces or get your money back and redirect the cash into a desktop. If you need a laptop then I say use an ipad or iphone (though using windows and menus on apple stuff is 1 million times as slow as Windows 95). jk

Buzz

Master
And is the computer still laggy??

You could also try downloading and running System Care Download Clicky and clean your comp of all temp files and system errors/redundant registry files.

Create a system restore point prior to scanning and cleaning.
Right click my computer ~ System Protection ~ Select your system drive and create a restore point.

Is computer still Laggy??

Run Prime95 now after default BIOS settings/Clean fans/adjust power settings of CPU and error checks have been done

Download and install and run Prime95 for a minimum of 30min

p64v2511.zip

When Prime95 is open click Options Tab/Torture test
Tick the Blend (tests some of everything)
No of threads to run put 4

Click ok.

Now Keep an eye on your temps in Core Temp while it runs . The Longer you run it the better even up to 24hours but that will run the comp pretty hot.
Also keep an eye on the threads and see if any show up any errors.

Let me know if any show up later. If they do it would prob be best at that stage to contact PCs and see if they can advise you further.

Last edited: