Windows Update Installation Failure

khorn102

Hi I recently Received a PC from this site and when I install windows updates and restart my computer, upon restarting it gets to about 30% and then fails. I have tried deleting all my updates and re downloading them and I have tried using MSfixit. Also various other programs don't work with no explanation and i cannot get through to your call centre, I am calling from ireland, do I need to add anything to the phone number if that is the case?

steaky360

If you try using 0044333 011 7000 that should get you through although it may be an international call (not sure of call charges etc.).

Seems odd the installations always fail, are there several updates to install at once? Could you try and install them one at a time to see if it is one in particular which fails?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Try a system restore point from the Windows operating system disk to before the updates were installed.

steaky360

No worries, when you go into windows update you should be able to pick and choose which updates you install, if I can remember correctly you can click the "## important updates" or '## optional updates' bits and you can then check the ones you want to install now.

EDIT: Might be easier to try a system restore (As Vanthus suggested) first though. Then start from scratch (so to speak)

khorn102

Hmm for some reason I only have restore points from today and yesterday, and this problem has been happening for roughly a week now (my internet has not been working properly until today). Any idea how I can find older ones? and yes i do have show more restore points checked.

steaky360

Have you ran some kind of cleaner type program? They sometimes will delete older restore points.

khorn102

I tried installing the updates in groups of 3 to find which one was causing the problem, and they all installed correctly. Very strange haha, thank you all for your help!

steaky360

No worries, if anything like that occurs again its probably worth taking the time to install them in smaller groups.