Windows update issues

ariadne2

Silver Level Poster
Hi all,

I am having a problem installing a windows update - kb 2972211. It downloads to 11% and then fails without getting to the installation phase. The updater gives out error code 80073712 "unknown error". All the other updates installed with no problem.

I've been on microsoft site and ran the System Readiness Tool, also ran sfc/scannow which said I have corrupted files that it could not fix.. Would really hope not to have to reinstall windows! Any ideas?

Androcles

Rising Star
I had a similar issue recently with my new windows 8 laptop. I can't remember the name of the service that was causing it but basically the manufacturer had installed their own software for maintaining and updating the PC and the service it used was conflicting with windows update and causing updates to freeze at 11% to 18%, once I disabled that service everything worked fine. Sorry I can't remember the service, if I do I will post it here.

ariadne2

Silver Level Poster
To update, all sorted. I went on Seven Forums, they checked the logs for the system update readiness tool which showed some damaged manifest files. I got clean copies of those to copy over and then all was well.