Windows will not boot from a cold boot

PaulJ678

The expert has twenty years trading and has a superb reputation locally. We trade mutually with each other so know each other. They have always resolved issues where we have not been able to or do not have the inclination. The issue started many months ago on an intermittent basis and progressively became worse.

As for if this resolution was indeed the root of the problem I cannot know for sure, I was not in the workshop when it was inspected. It went away, got inspected/tested, parts were changed and it came back working. What else could it be...unless of course it was something else simple and the expert is dishonest and has got away with it for twenty years.

The purpose of my post was to share the result in case it helped others since I have received help from the experts here.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The expert has twenty years trading and has a superb reputation locally. We trade mutually with each other so know each other. They have always resolved issues where we have not been able to or do not have the inclination. The issue started many months ago on an intermittent basis and progressively became worse.

As for if this resolution was indeed the root of the problem I cannot know for sure, I was not in the workshop when it was inspected. It went away, got inspected/tested, parts were changed and it came back working. What else could it be...unless of course it was something else simple and the expert is dishonest and has got away with it for twenty years.

The purpose of my post was to share the result in case it helped others since I have received help from the experts here.
The bent pins would have caused far worse issues than slow writes to a drive, it doesn’t make any sense at all.

With bent cpu pins the mobo would have died really quickly from overheating or flat out wouldn’t have booted.

It doesn’t fit at all I’m afraid.

PaulJ678

If it does not fit then what else could it be. We have the old motherboard and there are bent pins. What/who caused them is impossible to know for sure.

It now works, which is our desired outcome. Hopefully, no-one else has a similar issue...its been a time vampire.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If it does not fit then what else could it be. We have the old motherboard and there are bent pins. What/who caused them is impossible to know for sure.

It now works, which is our desired outcome. Hopefully, no-one else has a similar issue...its been a time vampire.
I’m just concerned you got heavily overcharged simply for a replacement drive

PaulJ678

I’m just concerned you got heavily overcharged simply for a replacement drive
Who knows, the only person that does is the engineer that carried out the inspection.

i know the usb header socket on the motherboard was damaged because we noticed it when cable etc were moved to disconnect cards and drives during fault finding. It is impossible for me to know if the pins were bent on the cpu socket. The images I have seen support this claim and I did not have any distrust with the technician…well until you lot piped up 😜

Yes, I could have returned this to PCS for a fee and the outcome may have been the same BUT will have taken a lot longer time and with much more inconvenience. PCS responses with cookie cutter referral to Ts & Cs lead me believe if the problem was with the motherboard we would incur further charges. The cost of the repair is not the only cost, the time and inconvenience of dealing with this issue has a cost. Using A backup machine for this PCs role also carried risk…Sods Law, that failed too, that would have been a pain so speed of turnaround carried value.

I am pleased it’s over now and my head worms can hibernate again. I am not unhappy with the outcome.

I appreciate all the help and opinion offered from this forum.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Who knows, the only person that does is the engineer that carried out the inspection.
That's not correct though, if you have any understanding of hardware, you know that bent CPU pins would have caused a host of issues unrelated to the problems you were facing, that's the point.

It is impossible for me to know if the pins were bent on the cpu socket. The images I have seen support this claim and I did not have any distrust with the technician…well until you lot piped up 😜
It is entirely possible to know, because you weren't facing any symptoms of that.