Wireless card & router question?

waynedance

Gold Level Poster
Not to clued up on these things so can you help?

I have a router as in the link http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DG834PN/DG834PN_ds_11Nov05.pdf

Now Does this router only work at 54mbps, as this is the speed my wireless card is connected which is a http://www.intel.com/products/wireless/prowireless_mobile.htm

Now is it the card that is limited to 54mbps or the router or both?

Asking as the Vortex I am waiting for is going to have the Intel 300mpbs card, will I need a new router to match the wireless speed?

I only have a 1.5 meg connection on my broadband (live in village) and when gaming all is fine unless the misses goes on the internet at the same time and there is a bit of lag and stuttering.

Is there a way on the new Intel card I will getting or on the router to give my connection priority?

Thank you in advance.

steaky360

I would suggest its the broadband connection itself that will be giving you issues not the router/network card speed (your internal network speed is going to be far faster than your internet connection requires). I'm not sure if there is a way you can give priority to your machine's traffic on the intel cards / your router unfortunately.

waynedance

Gold Level Poster
So is there away to get faster connection over 54mbps to make it faster when transferring files or streaming videos from my media box?

Will the new Intel 300 card connect at a faster speed or will my router not be good enough?

Would I be best changing the Intel for one of the Killer cards I heard they can prioritise connections.

steaky360

Your router is going to be limited by bandwidth unfortunately. You'd be better off getting a new router before getting one of the killer network cards imo. For instance I have a billion Bipac 7800n and its excellent! I very rarely have any trouble gaming (and if I do its usually during peak times and the internet isn't that great here either anyway).

Also the speed at which the card can/will connect is affected by the strength of the connection it has to the router (I think), the stronger the connection (number of bars displayed) the faster it will be connected. Although I must admit, I don't know that for sure. It is just my understanding.