Wireless Issue

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Hi,

While my current ionico 16 is back with PCS on a RMA I'm currently using my Nova 15. However whenever I start a program or game the internet drops. The wireless remains connected however the internet cuts out. Other devices stay connected. I've tried a few fixes including setting band to 2.4ghz removing power management. However no success. New card in displaying the exact same issue.

My specs are as follows;

Chassis & Display
Nova Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2200 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated Micro-SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor
1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Battery
Nova Series Detachable 4 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema
Wireless Network Card
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 M.2 GAMING + BLUETOOTH 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.2 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.2 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard Language
15" NOVA SERIES UK KEYBOARD

The only change is I've just installed a AX1675 card to make sure it wasn't hardware related.

Here are the system logs https://drive.google.com/file/d/18L33ljSi46rr0ZnftUuVH93dyUkyJRPq/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
There are a number of these errors in your log...
Code:
Log Name:      System
Source:        Netwtw10
Date:          27/06/2023 22:41:06
Event ID:      5005
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      DESKTOP-A1JHO79
Description:
Killer(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX1675x 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter (210NGW) : Has encountered an internal error and has failed.
That looks like a hardware problem with the card, or the slot it's in.

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
There are a number of these errors in your log...
Code:
Date:          27/06/2023 22:41:06
Event ID:      5005
Level:         Error
Description:
Killer(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX1675x 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter (210NGW) : Has encountered an internal error and has failed.
That looks like a hardware problem with the card, or the slot it's in.

This card is a new one sent out from PCS. Swapped them over last night before posting here. It's really curious as it's working normally now but then when I start a game the internet drops out but the connection stays.

Would any other logs shed any light on this?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Try the card in a different slot.

If you contact PCS again about this then give them the System log.

Later Edit:
I notice that you swapped cards last night (26th) so I went back in your log. There is a sudden jump from 8th April to 27th June - what happened to the log entries in between? Anyway, you were getting WiFi driver errors as far back as 8th April for the old card...
Code:
Date:          08/04/2023 07:18:14
Event ID:      6062
Level:         Warning
Description:
The description for Event ID 6062 from source Netwtw10 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\NDMP2
Killer(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX1650x 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter (200NGW)

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table
Since the new card is also causing errors to be logged then it must be something else. I would first ensure that the drivers are up to date. Download and run the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and use that to check all your Intel drivers. Then try the card in a different slot.

Last edited:

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Try the card in a different slot.

If you contact PCS again about this then give them the System log.

Later Edit:
I notice that you swapped cards last night (26th) so I went back in your log. There is a sudden jump from 8th April to 27th June - what happened to the log entries in between? Anyway, you were getting WiFi driver errors as far back as 8th April for the old card...
Code:
Date:          08/04/2023 07:18:14
Event ID:      6062
Level:         Warning
Description:
The description for Event ID 6062 from source Netwtw10 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\NDMP2
Killer(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX1650x 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter (200NGW)

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table
Since the new card is also causing errors to be logged then it must be something else. I would first ensure that the drivers are up to date. Download and run the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and use that to check all your Intel drivers. Then try the card in a different slot.
I got the new laptop this one was shutdown for sale. The issue wasn't present then so the replacement card wasn't installed. When I returned my new laptop.

Drivers are all up to date was the first thing I tried when issue presented itself. Such an unusual issue as I've mentioned previously it only starts when playing a game and not always?

Theres two SSD's in this machine at the minute so I'll take the second one out and try the network card in that slot see if the issue resolves

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
There is no secondary slot that I know of..

Tested with Ethernet and the issue isn't present, however whilst looking inside machine at the card noticed this on of the connectors to the network card (as seen in picture attached) how does this even happen?

Weird again however whilst testing a game without the power lead in (running battery) the issue wasn't present) this really is a mystery.

Attachments

• 355643938_148937654819665_7688974832751215096_n.jpg
    355643938_148937654819665_7688974832751215096_n.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 65

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Sorry, I forgot it was a laptop. Still, if you have the correct driver and two cards fail then there's something else wrong.

Could it be your wireless router? Or interference from other hotshots?

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Sorry, I forgot it was a laptop. Still, if you have the correct driver and two cards fail then there's something else wrong.

Could it be your wireless router? Or interference from other hotshots?
Did you notice the image with the damaged exposed cable? I'm going to try and repair it to see if it makes a difference. Such a weird issue that I'm wondering if it's when the machine starts drawing power and heat that it's somehow affecting the card through that wire

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Did you notice the image with the damaged exposed cable? I'm going to try and repair it to see if it makes a difference. Such a weird issue that I'm wondering if it's when the machine starts drawing power and heat that it's somehow affecting the card through that wire
It's very possible looking at that cable. I can only think it's become trapped when the cover has been replaced, that's the only way I can think that damage would have occured.

You could replace that Antenna cable, although it may be quite a fiddle, as you'd have to trace it I think to the otherside of the motherboard.

But depending on the connector at the other end, you can find replacement cables fairly easy such as these

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
It's very possible looking at that cable. I can only think it's become trapped when the cover has been replaced, that's the only way I can think that damage would have occured.

You could replace that Antenna cable, although it may be quite a fiddle, as you'd have to trace it I think to the otherside of the motherboard.

But depending on the connector at the other end, you can find replacement cables fairly easy such as these

Hi,

Yeah I thought about that as a cause for the damage but they seemed fairly tidily install when I first looked for the issue. I will try and repair the damage and see if it's fixable. Failing that I'll order some new cables anyway as it would be another possible cause removed. Plus never hurts to get right inside and clean it up and repaste.

Don't seem to have much luck atm two PCS laptops one in RMA and the other developing a really annoying issue.

Thank you for the link

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I didn't notice the damaged cable, but now that I have I don't think it's significant. That's a coax cable, and although the plastic sleeve is damaged and there seems to be some minor disturbance of the outer conductor I don't see damage that would cause it to stop working - even intermittently. I don't believe that's your problem, although I would suggest taping that up so the outer conductor can't touch anything.

Ubuysa's rule #6: If the problem isn't where you're looking then it must be somewhere else.

It's not the card, because you've had two. It might be the driver, but you should have used the Intel Driver and Support Assistant to check that, as I suggested earlier. The next most likely cause, as I mentioned earlier, is local environmentals. The way to test for that is to take the laptop somewhere else and try it in a different location on a different wireless hotspot. It may make no difference, but it's a test you need to do.

You have of course unchecked the "Allow Windows to turn this device off to save power" checkbox in the device options?

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
I didn't notice the damaged cable, but now that I have I don't think it's significant. That's a coax cable, and although the plastic sleeve is damaged and there seems to be some minor disturbance of the outer conductor I don't see damage that would cause it to stop working - even intermittently. I don't believe that's your problem, although I would suggest taping that up so the outer conductor can't touch anything.

Ubuysa's rule #6: If the problem isn't where you're looking then it must be somewhere else.

It's not the card, because you've had two. It might be the driver, but you should have used the Intel Driver and Support Assistant to check that, as I suggested earlier. The next most likely cause, as I mentioned earlier, is local environmentals. The way to test for that is to take the laptop somewhere else and try it in a different location on a different wireless hotspot. It may make no difference, but it's a test you need to do.

You have of course unchecked the "Allow Windows to turn this device off to save power" checkbox in the device options?

These steps were all performed before seeking advice here. I don't think it's enviromental as it happens pretty much as soon as the system comes under load and I have since switched internet providers with a different router and a different location (room)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
OK, so you've tried:
  • Different location
  • Different wireless router
  • Different wireless card
  • The latest Intel driver (via Intel Driver & Support Assistant)
You could ask PCS whether there is a chassis-vendor specific driver for the wireless card.

I would also suggest downloading a Linux distro (Linux Mint Cinnamon is not that dissimilar to Windows). These can run off the USB drive without needing to install anything. Try running a Linux distro for a day or two and see whether it suffers from network dropouts. That will pretty muc h confirm whether this is a hardware problem (in which case Linux will have dropouts) or a Windows problem (in which case Linux will be fine).