Wireless issues with League of Legends

rossym

Hey all,

So, I have my new PC now, which is a dream, however I'm having some persistent wireless issues that are specific to League of Legends. I'm making this post here hopefully to see if others have experienced similar issues (as it's such a popular game) and just to check on any potential wireless card issues.

So..

Prior to this new machine (specs to follow at bottom), I was using a laptop with Windows 7 for my gaming and I had no issues with ping lag on wireless/wired. I now have my new computer, with Windows 10 and the game is unplayable on WiFi. My stable ping is 28, but when on wireless it's jumping from 30-100 without fail all game, which makes the game unplayable. My characters are just skipping across the screen and it's hell. As soon as I put an ethernet cable in, it's back to 28 and is a dream.

I've been through every troubleshooting step recommended by Riot at this URL to no avail - https://support.riotgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/201752664-Troubleshooting-Connection-Issues

The only difference I can see between my old and new setups is the OS - Windows 7 to Windows 10. I don't know if it's worth mentioning, but my Windows 10 is not currently activated. I got a copy from work, but whenever I go to the activation page it just loads forever and goes nowhere.

Other bits to note:
- I did a factory reset of router yesterday and for one/two games it worked perfectly (28 ping), then it just deteriorated again.
- I have plugged the antennas into my wireless card.
- This happens on and off-peak
- My laptop works fine on wireless
- I've disabled all sharing/privacy options on Windows 10 and also removed the Xbox app.

My next step was to install Windows 7, but I'd really prefer not to do that as I actually quite like Windows 10.

What next?

Overclocked CPU Overclocked Intel® Core™i5-6600K Quad Core (3.50GHz @ upto 4.60GHz)
Motherboard ASUS® Z170 PRO GAMING/AURA: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs, RGB Lighting
Memory (RAM) 16GB HyperX SAVAGE DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 8GB Kit)
Graphics Card 6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Hard Disk 1TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 32MB CACHE
M.2 SSD Drive 256GB SAMSUNG PM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 2800MB/R, 1100MB/W)
Power Supply CORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking WIRELESS 802.11 AC1200 867Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I would, first of all, ensure you're using the most up-to-date Wireless drivers. These can have a massive impact. Get them from the vendor of the card, not Microsoft.

Also, I know others generally say to check you have screwed the aerials in as they come detached in the box.

rossym

I would, first of all, ensure you're using the most up-to-date Wireless drivers. These can have a massive impact. Get them from the vendor of the card, not Microsoft.

Also, I know others generally say to check you have screwed the aerials in as they come detached in the box.

Thanks for your reply, though I have done both of these.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Hmmm ok.

So next step - have you tried doing a ping to say bbc.co.uk (ping bbc.co.uk -t) and seeing if just an ICMP is up and down?

Have you tried changing the channels on your wifi router?

Are you connecting on 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz? Have you tried connecting to the other?

It may well be that the newer card doesn't play nicely with your older router (admit I am making assumptions here) but I've seen this - particularly BT routers.

rossym

Hmmm ok.

So next step - have you tried doing a ping to say bbc.co.uk (ping bbc.co.uk -t) and seeing if just an ICMP is up and down?

Have you tried changing the channels on your wifi router?

Are you connecting on 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz? Have you tried connecting to the other?

It may well be that the newer card doesn't play nicely with your older router (admit I am making assumptions here) but I've seen this - particularly BT routers.

Pinging BBC is A-OK.

When I looked at the router, both were enabled.

I haven't tried any Router modification as yet. And, going on your point of 2.4/5ghz, I've actually seen some other posts about this potentially being an issues (5GHZ being the issue). I will try this when I am home tonight.

Ta!

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Ah also it's worth noting that some routers don't like both channels enabled. They tend to slow the higher speeds down to the lowest plus other issues.

And I generally recommend that if not already, the 5GHz has a different SSID (e.g. add a 5 at the end) to the 2.4Ghz.

rossym

Ah also it's worth noting that some routers don't like both channels enabled. They tend to slow the higher speeds down to the lowest plus other issues.

And I generally recommend that if not already, the 5GHz has a different SSID (e.g. add a 5 at the end) to the 2.4Ghz.

Thanks for the info. I will tinker around this evening and see what results I get.

I'm going to split the SSID's and only connect my PC to the 2.4ghz channel.

rossym

Just a note back on this - I straight up disabled 5ghz for the time being and did a test game (this was late last night, so not peak time), and everything seemed stable.

I will try again over the next couple of days during peak time and see if I get the same results.

Thanks!

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Excellent. Hopefully you have found the root cause.

Once you're happy that it's stable, may be worth trying it back on on a different SSID.