Won't turn on...

Timotaur

Ok so I have has the computer for just a week and my computer simply won't turn on... It happened before, I was playing a game and then poof, the screen went black and my computer died. After pressing the on button the computer would power up for 2/3 seconds and then die again. I left it for a few minutes and then when I came back it turned on and everything was fine again. Bear in mind this was only the day after I took the computer out of the packaging. Now again the computer died in the middle of me playing farcry 3 the screen went black and the computer powered off. However this time every time I press the power button nothing happens... Zilch... Squat. I'm absolutely stuck as obviously this shouldn't be happening with a brand new computer that I paid over a thousand pounds for. I did open the side of the case for a look and there is a green light on the motherboard that is on so the PC is definitely receiving power. Any advice would be great because if its something I can fix it would be a lot easier thane having to send it back to PCS.

Sorry for the block of text. Tim.

baron75mk2

Banned
Yes call tech support , sounds like the PSU is playing up , would be interesting to see the spec if possible

Timotaur

Processor (CPU)
AMD FX-9370 Eight Core CPU (4.4GHz-4.7GHz/16MB CACHE/AM3+)
Motherboard
ASUS® SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 (DDR3, USB3.0, 6Gb/s, CrossFireX/Sli)
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
2GB AMD RADEON™ HD7870 - DVI,HDMI,2 mDP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 64MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY
Processor Cooling
Corsair H80i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Extra Case Fans
2 x 12CM Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
2 PORT USB 3.0 INTERNAL PCI-EX CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS
Power Cable
1 x 2 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Not sure the spec is going to help much with diagnosing the problem,have you phoned PCS as I suggested in post 2?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Perhaps it might also be worth checking all your electrical connections to the PC. Make sure all plugs and sockets are properly connected and all plugs pushed fully into their sockets. Also make sure you're not overloading the mains circuit you're on so that a breaker trips, this is not that uncommon when people have a big extension panel with the PC, printer, external drives, hubs, lamps and the like plugged in.

It might also be worth opening up the case and making sure all plugs and connectors are properly seated. It's not unusual for stuff to come loose in transit.

:)

Timotaur

I havent phoned PCS yet because the computer hasnt had the problem since so im not sure if maybe they were just isolated incidents but if it does happen again i will be sure to call them.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I havent phoned PCS yet because the computer hasnt had the problem since so im not sure if maybe they were just isolated incidents but if it does happen again i will be sure to call them.

That suggests to me that it's even more likely to be a poorly connected mains plug or socket and/or too much equipment drawing power from that mains circuit. Even though it's working now I'd still take the time to check all the wiring, plugs and sockets that feed the PC. I'd also open the case and make certain everything is properly seated and connected.

Problems never fix themselves and you can bet that the next time it strikes it will be at the most awkward and inconvenient time for you. :)

dogbot

Bright Spark
Bought a new TV some while back. Plugged it in and the power light came on but it didn't work. The TV man called with a replacement and that was the same. After he had gone I realised that the only common factor was that the same lead had been used. Changed the fuse and - hey presto!!! The fuse had not blown but for some reason was not letting enough power through, high resisance probably.

Not saying that is your problem but might be worth a look.

Timotaur

Me again ;), it seems to have happened again so i thought i would post about it to see anyone's opinion, or if i should just call tech support, basically i started playing a fiesta online private server and then sometimes when i close the game my screen will go black, during this time i cant do anything with my computer, it just stays black, however i can still hear all my friends on Skype. since i cant do anything i hold down the power button until the pc turns off, then as before the computer refuses to start, the fans start spinning and the computer begins to power up but then after 1-2 seconds it just dies. I had a quick read of other posts and i am going to try removing the ram and reinserting it but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Tim.

Timotaur

Reinserted the ram and started the computer up. However after starting the game the screen went straight to black and i had the same problem as before. So i decided to reinstall the game and now it all works fine, no more black screens and no more random shut downs. Still dont know what was causing the problem, im just happy its working :).

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
I had an issue like this with an old PC and it turned out to be the RAM... I just took them out and reseated one at a time. I also completely powered down the PSU, switched off at the wall and left for a few hours. Not saying this is the case with yours, but as you're getting lights on your motherboard it is receiving power like you say. Do any other lights light up on the motherboard when you press the power switch?

EDIT: Oh I just saw your last post. Sounds like some kind of bug!