Work Experiance

liamnic2

Super Star
hey guys

Im doing my,3rd year, high school work experiance in October.
The job placements are rubbish though, nothing to do with computers, wanting to learn more about computers and how they are built.
Anyway since I have plenty time, does anyone, in southlanarkshire scotland, have any idea where I can work for a week in october as part of my course.

Im not going to work at a nursery, or carehome.

liamnic2

Super Star
If that was closer to me then I would have applied but its in prestwick and Im in lanark. Theres no way I can get a lift for a whole week from lanark to prestwick then back lanark .
But thanks for trying

Pete

Bright Spark
any medium sized companies around ? any company with say 50+ staff and an IT dept should be kept busy - large companies usually have their computers covers by the supplier, so no cracking the lid for a goosey, just waiting on the phone for the likes of Dell technical support (other manufacturers are available).

I did my work exp at the same uni, which was fantastic (another year with the student life, only with money!) but you're right the companies the uni came up with are useless.

oh wait just noticed the school part - is it only for a week or so ? basically find a company with an IT dept : hospital, council, oil rig....

liamnic2

Super Star
Im not looking for a IT job, ie doing databases, forms etc...
I want to do a job that physically involves computers, building them etc..

Rakk

The Awesome

Problem with that is you may have to go a fair distance to go to get that, unless you find some local pc repair place that deals with hardware failures and replacements and such rather than software issues.

Pete

Bright Spark

unless as stated before, you can get a job on an assembly line somewhere, probably the most common job on the IT helpdesk is of course solving issues - now they may be PC related, often user err or just need a reboot but at somepoint you will have to open them up to tinker. most companies aren't churning out software changes, databases or forms - they have dev's for that and they aren't going to let some work experience person loose on them (no offense).

Working on a helpdesk should give you a wide range of knowledge too; servers, networking, domains, user accounts, fault finding...

liamnic2

Super Star
Working on a helpdesk should give you a wide range of knowledge too; servers, networking, domains, user accounts, fault finding...

They are ok, Its just that my school pictures copmuting as databases, forms etc....
The things above are fine