Work & Gaming Laptop

Vobinho

Hi,

I'm looking for a high performance laptop, with 1TB hard disk space.

Also looking for powerful performance with regards to CPU & RAM.

Looking for some gaming as well, just wondering what Graphics I can get away with as that's what seems to be driving the price up.

This is the first spec I've looked at :

Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen™ 7 Eight Core Processor 4800H (2.9GHz, 4.2GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive
1TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

I'm wondering what this option gets you at a much higher price :

Chassis & Display
Defiance Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 10875H (2.3GHz, 5.1GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER Max-Q - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)

I assume the difference in cost (around £600 higher) is based on the better graphics card? I'm wondering if I need the better graphics or if the RTX2060 can handle most games?

Cheers

FunkyFlow

Heeey. I have ordered an Optimus 17.3” with RTX 2060 and was wondering as well. As far as what I have seen, RTX 2060 can handle most AAA games on high settings (some with ultra). I don’t exactly remember the FPS there but I think it was alright (most videos checked on ultra or very high settings so I would assume high settings would work fine). I haven’t tested myself yet as it’s in pre-production status. I would check comparisons on YouTube just to be sure, there should be quite a few of them :)

cjohob

I've ordered the 17.3" Optimus Pro with Ryzen 4800h and RTX 2060. Based on playtests I've read/seen the 2060 seems to manage most games comfortably, even with ray tracing enabled, as long as you're happy to play in native 1080p. I'm hoping for a smooth 60+ on all games on high or ultra (with a few tweaks), though I'd be happy for 50+ on Metro Exodus - it seems like a serious workout!

Mine is also only in pre-production status still but it was ordered a couple of weeks + ago, and an agent told me yesterday that the stock they were awaiting should finally be arriving in the next couple of days. Hopefully mine should get here in another week or so. I'm going to be rinsing some of the more recent AAAs when it arrives (Metro, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, maybe Doom Eternal, among others). I'll be posting a full review once I've had a chance to give it a proper testing. If you can wait till then I'll be able to let you know the sorts of settings and framerates this particular build is capable of irl.

cjohob

Also FYI you might save some money on the Optimus by swapping out the SATA SSD for an M.2, which are a bit cheaper, but actually have higher read/write speeds.