Worth Waiting for DDR4?

lee50_10

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys now that the new Intel CPU and the 780 is here i will be ordering a new PC this Autumn but i was thinking is DDR4 around the corner soon? Will there be much difference between DDR3 + 4 in gaming and real world terms?

Yamikotai

Expert
DDR4 won't be in the consumer sector for two or three years at the very least. DDR3 will probably be in your new build and the one after.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
DDR4 is infact very close, Crucial are releasing their first consumer sticks this year

I don't think there is that much benefit to it though, the speed won't make much difference and you can still get way more than enough RAM for almost anything in 4 DDR3 slots

They are clocked at 2133MHz, DDR3 sticks can already reach this (although often unstable) and the difference will not be noticeable in gaming

They are also only a bit more energy efficient and RAM is very low power compared to other components anyway so its not really worth worrying about

here is a nice diagram with lots of info
http://www.crucial.com/promo/DDR4.aspx

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I wasn't aware of that, but you're right. TIL. I don't think there'll be much in the way of boards making use it for a year or two, though.

I'd say that there will probably be some boards released alongside whatever the next Intel range is in about a years time, and I think it will be used at a quicker rate in tablets, phones and laptops as they are the devices that would benefit most from the new architecture

lee50_10

Bronze Level Poster
OK thanks guys if i were to get an overclocked CPU and then get the 2400 memory i guess that would be just as effective as waiting for DDR4.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Well neither will be of much benefit to gaming, an overclocked CPU may get you a couple of extra frames per second (if that) and the high clock RAM will make no difference in gaming, and will only make your system more unstable and likely to crash