Would a PCS laptop match this in price vs performance?

Stressed

Silver Level Poster
I have been looking at the Lenovo y50-70 with some interest for a while now.
It looks pretty sweet.. slim for a gaming laptop (has external dvd rom).

Here are the specs:
-4K display
-i7 2.5Ghz (6mb)
-16GB Ram - supports up to 32 Gb
-Nvidia GTX 860m 4GB (not upgradable)
-1TB Hdd + 6GB SSD (hybrid) - upgradable

Cost: £1010 on Amazon

I have read and seen A LOT of reviews and the internet has a raging boner over this laptop.

The good:
-4k display on the go for a VERY low price.
-apparently it has great sound quality and decent subwoofer
-quite slim and stylish looking - LED keyboard - alienwarish look but not as exaggerated
-the price is pretty cool
-very decent cooling

The bad:
-screen locked at 48fps apparently
-4K display apparently doesn't work well with all games, nor will I have an internet connection to allow me to stream 4k videos as I please, and also there won't be enough power to play new games in 4k resolution! but I guess you can just leave it at 1080p.
-GPU not upgradable
-apparently people are not extremely pleased with the screen colours

I am really tempted to get this, but from the reviews it seems that Lenovo is not great at customer service and the warranty is only 1 year.

The Vortex from PCS with the same specs (except the 4k display and not as sexy looking) would cost around £1060-£1100 (but with a lessed GPU - radeon 4gb) so not a huge difference in price.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:

mrducking

Bright Spark
the x290m is by no means the equivalent to the gtx860m, is way closer to the gtx870m, so the radeon one is better
4k.... 4k.... how to say this....
4k MIGHT be awesome, BUT there is not a mobile graphic card in the market that can move a decent game in decent quality in 4k, and lets be honest 1080p for a laptop screen is more than awesome enough
the best part in my opinion is the upgradeable gpu in the vortex, now you get it with the radeon, later you can put a better card, or if it breaks after you guarantee expires you can replace just the gpu
locked at 48fps? really?

if you are looking for a gaming laptop i would go vortex everytime but thats just me, if you want portability look the cosmos or the optimus in PCS, the optimus comes with a gtx 860m

smokey

I doubt if it would run most games on ultra settings at 4k very well, it would probably run some smoothly but I bet it would get hot and the GPU wont last as long.

I also seriously doubt you would need 16GB of ram, 8GB of ram is more then enough unless your planning to develop your own games or do some 3D rendering.

but with a lessed GPU - radeon 4gb

the radeon R9 m290x is more powerful then the GTX 860M, why do you think its worse?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I have been looking at the Lenovo y50-70 with some interest for a while now.
It looks pretty sweet.. slim for a gaming laptop (has external dvd rom).

Here are the specs:
-4K display
-i7 2.5Ghz (6mb)
-16GB Ram - supports up to 32 Gb
-Nvidia GTX 860m 4GB (not upgradable)
-1TB Hdd + 6GB SSD (hybrid) - upgradable

Cost: £1010 on Amazon

I have read and seen A LOT of reviews and the internet has a raging boner over this laptop.

The good:
-4k display on the go for a VERY low price.
-apparently it has great sound quality and decent subwoofer
-quite slim and stylish looking - LED keyboard - alienwarish look but not as exaggerated
-the price is pretty cool
-very decent cooling

The bad:
-screen locked at 48fps apparently
-4K display apparently doesn't work well with all games, nor will I have an internet connection to allow me to stream 4k videos as I please, and also there won't be enough power to play new games in 4k resolution! but I guess you can just leave it at 1080p.
-GPU not upgradable
-apparently people are not extremely pleased with the screen colours

I am really tempted to get this, but from the reviews it seems that Lenovo is not great at customer service and the warranty is only 1 year.

The Vortex from PCS with the same specs (except the 4k display and not as sexy looking) would cost around £1060-£1100 (but with a lessed GPU - radeon 4gb) so not a huge difference in price.

What do you guys think?

Only if it is like for like which is not the case here

Stressed

Silver Level Poster
Oh is the radeon card better? I didn't know that sorry. =)
How upgradable is a PCS Vortex computer? Can I upgrade the CPU for instance? Can I change the GPU on my own as well? Or do I need to send it back for these sort of things.

Also, do you guys reckon the prices would drop a bit with GTX 900m are coming on the market?

Much questions I know =) I'm not good at tech stuff, I just like playing videogames.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
You can upgrade the cpu and gpu but you need to keep in mind that conponents for laptops are quite expensive and by the time you need to upgrade them would be difficult to obtain. You also may need a bios upgrade for a newer range of GPU. I don't think anyone can really tell what may happen with prices