Would I be able to dual run 6790 GFX cards or be better buying a new one?

DMocky

Case STYLISH PIANO BLACK ENIGMA CASE + 2 FRONT USB

Processor (CPU) AMD PHENOM II X4 970 (3.50GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3) - BLACK EDITION

Motherboard ASUS® M5A87: AM3+ PLATFORM, DUAL DDR3,SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0

Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)

Graphics Card 1GB AMD RADEON™ HD6790 - DVI,HDMI,mDP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 3 Capable
2nd Graphics Card NONE

Memory - 1st Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Power Supply 450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£29)

Processor Cooling STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER

Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities ONBOARD GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI CARD (£16)

I have already bought this PC and have been running it for 9 months now. I was wondering if I would be able to add another 6790 or would it be better to just buy a better GFX card, maybe the 7970?

Thanks for any answers.

Corfate

Author Level
I don't think you could crossfire cards in that mobo mate. Always go for the stronger GPU, so the 7970 over duel 6790's :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
either way there is gonna be a lot of heat in that case, I'd consider adding a couple of high power fans to the case before you add any more graphics cards

DMocky

Cheers for the replies fella's, I am an absolute tool when it comes to adding to a PC so how would I go about adding fans?

Corfate

Author Level
Im not sure on how many fans that case can hold, but you just need to look on your side panel for any fan mounting spaces or behind the front panel. Buy the fans, screw them in, connect to any headers on your motherboard. If you don't have any, you could get a 3.5" fan controller such as mine in my sig (got off amazon about £12). :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
sadly, there isnt another slot on your case from what i can see so you would have to put it somewhere where its not designed to go

you could always check to see if there are any other fan slots via the live chat (which is open until 5pm)

although one of these may be a good idea as it will allow you to attach a 120mm fan to each side of it if you wish although you only have one spare fan connector on your motherboard
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Mast...CDGC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1334582060&sr=8-7
there is a fan built into it so you could just use that fan to improve cooling

one of these would be another option as it can be directed towards the graphics card (which is the man part you want to cool)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antec-Spot-...1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1334582138&sr=1-2

Last edited:

bg92

Expert
With that case and power supply running 2 graphics cards is a bad idea, instead just buy one of these: 7850, 7870,7950.

dangro474

Bright Spark
Following Wozzas post above I would strongly recommend a minimum of a 550W PSU and a single 7850 / 7870 GPU. Multiple GPU's simply are not necessary and often tend to cause more issues than they are worth.