Would like to reduce fan noise

oobujoobu

Case
CORSAIR iCUE 220T RGB AIRFLOW MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Eight Core CPU (3.9GHz-4.5GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 SUPER - HDMI, DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
256GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (1900 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]

Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

PC bought in April 2020, I can't tell if it's the processor fan or the additional case fans that are causing the most noise as it seems to sound consistent listening from either the front or the back.

Only rarely does a fan seem to go into overdrive for a short term, this is more the constant fan noise that occurs at all times. I installed SpeedFan but it doesn't pick up the presence of any fans so nothing I can monitor there.

Everything seems to be running nice and cool. I've cleared any dust from the removable mesh at the front of the case protecting the fans, that's not made a difference.

I've run a noise tracking app on my phone at the front of the case with the PC off and the ambient room level is about -90DB and when I turn on the PC that changes to about -70DB, not sure if that means there's 20DB of noise from the PC, I've never quite understood decibels fully!

My computer acts among other things as a hi res digital music server for my hi fi system so the presence of noticeable fans kind of defeats the object of that!

Anyone got anything they could suggest please for me to reduce the noise in a way that's safe for the PC? Thanks :)

Capture.PNG

Gavras

Master Poster
An ambient noise of of 90dB.....

oobujoobu

Thanks all, just for some clarity on that decibel level, which I know is confusing, the figures came from this app on my phone. With the PC off the room reads approx minus 90, then when I switch it on it goes to about minus 70, therefore an increase of 20db.

2021-01-05 15.58.43.jpg

oobujoobu

It depends...if the extra fans were the PCS fans at £9 each or whatever they are, then they are likely the culprit as, while they are decent at moving air, they will never be the quietest.

No clue on the dB reading as a negative number seems to me to be a very loud absence of noise! But then I am clueless.

Fan control: Might be worthwhile installing iCUE to see whether that is any better as it is a case designed for iCUE. However, I am not entirely sure on that case or how loud it is @AgentCooper is the one to ask as he has that case

Thanks, I've installed iCUE and from watching a YouTube tutorial, it looks like I don't have the "Performance tab" option to give fan control, I only have an option to control the fan lights.

I can however see the fan speeds in the Dashboard, just no option appears for me to control them

Capture.PNG

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Howdy all, sorry I've not checked in earlier (I've been doing my training on how to give the Covid vaccination today, fun times).

Sooooo... for your case fans on the iCue 220T, you'll want to use Fan Xpert 4, part of Asus AI Suite. That will allow you to control their speed.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Ha, you're not wrong! It's exactly the same as giving any other vaccination. In the deltoid, 2.5cm depth (3.8cm for the morbidly obese), and same steps as you mentioned above. It was more time spent learning about storage, drawing, dosing, the boring admin side of things. Still, the fact that it's happening means that we should be rolling it out in primary care within the next few weeks 🤞

oobujoobu

Thanks everyone so far. I've got Fan Xpert4 installed as part of AI Suite 3, and by playing around with the fans I've been able train my ears a little on which sounds are for example from the CPU fan, chassis fans etc.

I don't think the chassis fans are the issue, although Fan Xpert4 will only recognise the bottom 2 fans and not the top one so I have no control over that (anyone know an easy fix for that!?). I'm not sure if that's linked to the issue that Fan Xpert picks up an "AIO Pump" (which I believe it water cooling, I don't have that), which does nothing when I play with the settings because I have no water cooling, could it somehow be confusing AIO Pump with chassis fan 1?

Now I know the sounds better, it feels like the fans are OK and what I'm hearing is a more constant electrical hum (perhaps from the power supply?),as when I turn the CPU fan up to about 1400RPM that's when I hear it kick in more with a noise that's definitely moving air, but the hum I hear all the time remains in the background and constant.

oobujoobu

At a guess, I'd say the AIO pump is the CPU fan. If the CPU fan is an AMD cooler, then it may well be that as those fans are not the quietest...on my system I have every fan at it's bare minimum to reduce the CPU fan noise as it was annoying me
Thanks, the CPU fan has its own separate controllable setting labelled CPU fan, so I think the AIO pump is different, it's either referencing water cooling that I don't have, or its actually the chassis fan 1 and mislabelled (and when I alter its settings, for example turning it off, that has no effect on any fan)