Would this be possible?

cyrjam

So I just contacted PCS and ask about buying an overclocked 9900k build with the NH-U14S. My query was basically whether the cooler would be able to keep the chip's temps in check with up to a 4.9GHZ overclock and was told yes. I found that the sales representative's answers were really short and abrupt and can't help to think that I was just told "yes" just so they can make a sale. Has anyone ever paired these two together and overclocked?

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Not paired them together but I would be surprised if it held boost clocks in full blown out use with an air cooler.

I ran mine at 5.4 and temps were a bit ropey. I pulled it back to 5.2 and the H115i Platinum could take it.... I then dialed it back to the 5.0Ghz standard that I have now and it's sweet.

The H115i is about as good as it gets for an AIO cooling solution. Need to get into the 360mm big boys to beat it.

The Noctua will cool a 9900k but I would be surprised to see it keep an OCd one in check when at full chat for an extended period.

cyrjam

I have actually ordered the PC and went with the noctua after speaking with another sales advisor at PCS. I know they only do up to 4.9 and from what he says they do thorough testing before shipping out builds. He basically said if the Noctua cant do the job then it can be swapped out for something else which would be liquid cooling Im thninking which I most likely won't go for. If it can't then I will just have to forget about the OC for now and do this sometime later with a NH-D15/s or something. Only reason I wanted to is cause it doesnt make sense to buy an unlocked chip that cost that much and then not use it to its full potential. Anyways thanks for the responses.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
What are you going to be using it for? It always depends on the workloads how effective the cooler is :)

cyrjam

Creating templates in After Effects, some rendering in Adobe Media Encoder, a bit of music production (Recording vocals), light work in Premiere Pro (No rendering) and some gaming (GTA V, Shadow of the Tomb Raider and NFS Heat).

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Only the rendering should really push it. You may loose a wee bit with throttling but for all other uses it should be fine :)

Having said that GTAV was crazy on my laptop for CPU usage.

cyrjam

Only the rendering should really push it. You may loose a wee bit with throttling but for all other uses it should be fine :)

Having said that GTAV was crazy on my laptop for CPU usage.
Fingers crossed... yea GTA V is a bit cpu hungry as Ive read but even now I ran it on my current system with temps never passing 70 which has a i5-4670k (not OC though) and stock cooler so hopefully I dont have any issues with the 9900k OC just a bit. 🤷‍♂️