Would you change anything?

Jchappers

Hi,
Im hopefully going to be ordering next week, it will mainly be used for gaming. (budget of £1000)
I just wanted to post the quote on here and get some peoples advice, as my computer knowledge isnt great.
Any thing you would change or improve?

Chassis & Display Enigma III 540: 15.6" Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080) Matte
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2720QM (2.20GHz) 6MB Cache
Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BEKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE
(7200 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader Integrated 3 in 1 Memory Card Reader (SD, MMC, MS)
Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1102 WIRELESS 802.11N - IDEAL FOR ONLINE
GAMING
USB Options 1 x USB 3.0 PORT + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery Enigma III Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,100/5,200 mAh)
Power Lead & Adaptor 1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam INTEGRATED 1.3 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty 3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year
Labour)
Insurance 1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Delivery STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days
Total Order Price £958.00

Thanks

pcdan

Bronze Level Poster
i would change the warranty for the £5 for a year instead of month collect and return

pcdan

Bronze Level Poster
well i aint 1 to know about laptop specs but mainly expesnsive stuff is better lol is all i know wiht laptops desktops is a different thing :)

Flucky

Haven't seen Pez post lately so I thought I'd step in :p. If you could spare an extra £50 you could upgrade to this, which would be better for the gaming side of things.

Chassis & Display
Vortex II-15: 15.6" Full HD LED Backlit 16:9 Widescreen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glossy

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2630QM (2.00GHz) 6MB Cache

Memory (RAM)
4GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 2GB)

Graphics Card
1.5GB nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M - DirectX® 11 (15.6" Vortex II)

Memory - Hard Disk
500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BEKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & INTEL® CENTRINO® ADVANCED-N 6230 inc BLUETOOTH

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE

Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Insurance

Price: £1,068.00 which you can knock down to £1,053 if you search for promotional codes in mags

Last edited:

Jchappers

Thanks for thr reply. Yeah i looked at the vortex and i was considered getting it over the enigma, then i spoke to a sales repersenative and he recommended the enigma, i spose it just comes down to me, if i want to spend that bit extra. In you opinion would you say its worth spending that bit extra for the vortex? it also doesnt help that im very indecisive, so when it comes down to a big decision like this, well, i just freeze, and hope other people can help me make it... haha

Flucky

Hehe don't worry I was browsing this site for about a month see-sawing back and forth wondering what to get, my budget went up quite a bit as well. If I were you I'd take a little time to really look at the laptop your thinking of buying as I've seen reviews of things I was previously going to get and been put off. Here's a few things related to the Vortex 15 if you want to look it up (it's the Clevo model P150HM).

This is Notebookreview's review of the model (under a different name.

This is a YouTube review

For an insight into the graphics cards in the 2 machines look at the pages below (if you scroll to the bottom you'll see some FPS values from games).

This is the Enigma graphics card - GT 540M
vs
This is the Vortex graphics card - GTX 460M

Jchappers

ahhh i dont know which one to get! haha, so the graphics card on the vortex is quite abit better than the 540. Might just flip a coin.....

Flucky

Sorry for the late reply, it really depends on if you think you'll upgrade your RAM later on. With 1x4 you can easily put another stick in, with 2x2 you'll have to buy 2 sticks. If you're not planning on buying another stick of RAM any time soon I think the 2x2 is very slightly more stable and very slightly better performance.