WWDC and RealityOS???

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Well all, we're heading to that time of year again with WWDC happening next week on June 6th.

The big news this time, is that "RealityOS" has been found mentioned in the latest beta releases of IOS and MacOS.

The rumours are that this RealityOS is apples new Augmented Reality OS which they'll be using on their new AR headset.

Weather or not the headset is announced this WWDC, or just the development of the OS remains to be seen.

But RealityOS has been just been applied for a trademark by a new shell company called "Realityo Systems LLC" which happens to have a registered address of "Yosemite Research LLC" which was the shell company Apple used to trademark MacOS

This headset has been in the rumour mill for a long time now and something I'm very excited for. Weather it will be a business focussed tool for design purposes, or opened to the masses, either way, I'm excited to see what they can do.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Also leaks from BHPhoto uploading a listing for a M2 Mac Mini and M2 Mac Mini Tower

This would be me set for the Mac Mini with M2, that's what I've been waiting for for Logic Pro work. Hopefully they've addressed the USB and bluetooth issues.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
M2 Chip announced, seems to be more graphics oriented rather than CPU power but they've upped the RAM to 24Gb at the top end rather than the existing 16Gb:

MacBook Air on M2: The M1 version heavily throttled so be interesting to see how this is different. This is a custom designed chassis whereas the previous was just M1 placed in the existing Intel chassis. 13.6" screen, 500Nits, impressive colour gamut. Damn notch for the camera!!! $1199

13" Macbook Pro on M2: Looks like the existing chassis, I could be wrong, looks like a refresh rather than a new design, has much larger bezels as on the current and unlike the new Air. They didn't hype up this model very much. $1299

MacOS Ventura is the new version: Some nice updates to Apple Mail. Doing away with passwords, moving to Biometrics or MFA authentication called "Passkeys", this isn't specific to Apple, all the big guys are pushing for this. This is across all OSes, mobile and AppleTV. They pushed "continuity" between mobile OS and Mac, but other than that, the OS updates seem shiny improvements rather than usable feature upgrades. I'm sure there's further optimisation for Apple Silicon that they perhaps didn't mention.

Gaming: No Mans Sky coming to Mac, Resident Evil Village also, they're obviously making a far bigger push into mainstream AAA titles. I think they'll continue to try to buy out game studios in the coming years, they recognise the potential market here that they're currently missing out on, and Apple Silicon has made it viable.

iPadOS 16: Generally fluffy stuff again. They keep referencing "Continuity" focussing that these new tools work across MacOS, and iPadOS/IOS. Stage Manager is a new multitasking feature which is on MacOS also, does look far better than the current implementation, up to 8 apps open at once. Also better external display support.

Across all devices, there's new collaborative work tools on documents, basically sharepoint for Mac, only took 20 years, Apple!

No Mac Mini!!! Damn. The wait continues. Perhaps nearer September.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The Studio is awesome, but I just have no requirement for that graphics power, totally useless for my uses.
Yes, but...ULTRA!!!!!

Need is irrelevant...WANT is more important :ROFLMAO:

Wonder if there'll be a plug'n'play upgrade available so that I can swap an M2/M3/M4 into mine :unsure: (it's Apple, so less than a snowball in hell's chance).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok, so I was a bit ahead of myself last year. It was purely a marker that they'd become established in developing the RealityOS to the point it was worth trade marking.

But rumours are strong this year about the Apple Reality Pro headset possibly again at WWDC in June, but it may possibly have it's own announcement possibly around March time.

Now I know there are always gonna be Apple haters, and I totally get why, locked eco system, massively inflated prices, some really poor after sales support, and historically poor performance per $.

But I do think that Apples success tends to stem from waiting as new technologies hit a plateau where development kind of freezes in the mainstream, plus components prices settle as adoption becomes more widespread so they can make something more robust than perhaps other offerings, and maximise profits while doing it.

I'm a fan of apple, I'm a fan of windows, I don't use Linux really at all, but generally I mix between all OS's on mobile and PC/Server. Apple has big benefits in some areas and strong weakpoints in others as with any other developer. BUT they do have the advantage of controlling the hardware being used, and therefor tend to have far higher stability and less performance related issues. Not always the case of course, sometimes they do totally mess up (original HomePod perhaps?)

I think this could be something really special, although it looks more catered to the business market with the first release, which makes sense as businesses can write off the high early adoption cost to help lower component prices for a time when they are ready to release a consumer grade experience.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
Ok, so I was a bit ahead of myself last year. It was purely a marker that they'd become established in developing the RealityOS to the point it was worth trade marking.

But rumours are strong this year about the Apple Reality Pro headset possibly again at WWDC in June, but it may possibly have it's own announcement possibly around March time.

Now I know there are always gonna be Apple haters, and I totally get why, locked eco system, massively inflated prices, some really poor after sales support, and historically poor performance per $.

But I do think that Apples success tends to stem from waiting as new technologies hit a plateau where development kind of freezes in the mainstream, plus components prices settle as adoption becomes more widespread so they can make something more robust than perhaps other offerings, and maximise profits while doing it.

I'm a fan of apple, I'm a fan of windows, I don't use Linux really at all, but generally I mix between all OS's on mobile and PC/Server. Apple has big benefits in some areas and strong weakpoints in others as with any other developer. BUT they do have the advantage of controlling the hardware being used, and therefor tend to have far higher stability and less performance related issues. Not always the case of course, sometimes they do totally mess up (original HomePod perhaps?)

I think this could be something really special, although it looks more catered to the business market with the first release, which makes sense as businesses can write off the high early adoption cost to help lower component prices for a time when they are ready to release a consumer grade experience.

What organs do I need to sell to buy one?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What organs do I need to sell to buy one?
The leaks currently are $3000 but this is a kit for professional modelling and complex system management, it's not for gaming or anything like that.

A huge area they're used professionally is the car market and manufacturing and design in general, currently Microsoft Hololens have a hold in that area which Apple will I'm sure want to break into. Design is their bread and butter really.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The other are that is quickly moving to mixed reality use for management and diagnosis is actually networking in datacenters and stuff like that, it's being pioneered by Ubiquiti who are an American company who are doing some incredible things in the networking sphere, really futuristic stuff. The marketplace has been dominated by Cisco for a good 30 years really, but Cisco have literally never upgraded their OS, and it's all command line which is expensive to be trained in. They've then bought out other companies and just merged the separate command requirements into their own OS without standardising anything, so it's really fragmented. They've also been hit with some pretty serious security issues in the last couple of years which is really bad press. I know for our company who are an MSP our network guys are really fed up with the issues with cisco stuff.

Skip to 2.21 in this video to get an idea of how handy AR is for networking, when you're factoring in huge huge switch arrays in corporate environment or datacenter, think how much easier this would make it!

I'd love to know if @Steveyg knew of how much AR is used in a datacenter yet if at all?

Last edited: