Xbox pad

Tallpaulos

Enthusiast
Hi,

Currently waiting for a laptop to arrive, but am still playing Fallout 3 and Counter Strike: Global Offensive on my old laptop. I've moved from desktop to console to laptop etc over the years, but am primarily a console player. I have searched everywhere for a solution to this problem but to no avail.

Does anybody that uses an xbox pad ALOT on the xbox, have issues when it comes to the PC? Not input lag, but it feeling completely wrong, even after messing with in-game settings? I have the latest drivers, and the wired pad is 'working' fine. And it is nothing to do with sticky aim since I turn that off in all the console games. Please don't give me the usual 'use a mouse and keyboard' rubbish, I do when I can, but when relaxing (i.e. Fallout 3) I use a pad.

I'm trying to get to the bottom of it.

Example 1: Fallout 3 works fine with the joypad, but the aim sticks to the x and y axis and it drives me INSANE. Aiming in the distance is nigh-on impossible.

Example 2: Counter Strike & Left for Dead 2: Doesn't stick to the X and Y axis to the same degree, but still feels all wrong. I think acceleration is a major cause.

Do any of the third party apps let you really mess with the pad settings to try and get them right? Will I find that newer games like Far Cry 3 don't have these issues? Is it the drivers? Is it me being a fuddy-duddy?! I was also wondering if they have updated the pads themselves over the last 5 or 6 years.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I know exactly what you mean but nobody else gets it! Till now at least..

I use a wireless xbox controller for a lot of my games and like you said it's very much either up/down or left/right. It never feels like I could go up/left smoothly, etc. I only discovered it on Dishonoured as I wanted to use a controller to sit back and relax but I was really struggling to actually get my crosshairs onto a target and then precisely aim where I wanted to. I think I've gotten used to it now but I know exactly what you mean.

I've found its ok with Battlefield 3 and a couple of others but like you said, it still feels very like.. wrong..

Would love to see if anybody has a solution. I assume it's because when you go into your control panel and go to the joypads section to calibrate it, it does only let you calibrates like up,down,left,right rather than a full 360 degree axis.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I know what you mean, sometimes you want to just lay back in the chair half asleep and game. For this reason i keep my console for that and only really use my PC for PC exclusives and the odd game i want to look amazing.

I still play borderlands 2 with Xbox controller and it works perfect but they were designed to work with the controller too.

Sorry i dont have Fallout 3 or CS etc but do they have controller settings in the menu?

I'll try L4D2 when i get home though.

Does this sound like it could help?

http://www.jonnys-place.com/index.php?topic=10495.0

Keithg

Enthusiast
To be honest I have not noticed anything like you describe. I have the wireless controller and have actually been buying games that I own on the x360 on PC as I get to play it more often.
The games I have been playing inlcude Sonic Generations, Saints Row 3, GTA4, Just Cause 2, Assassins Creed 2 (for this I had to dl a config file to allow the 360 buttons to map) Darksiders, Kingdoms of Amalur

I have not experienced any problems with any of those games

steaky360

I haven't experienced the issues you guys are having with my wireless 360 pad. Although I have experienced kinda the reverse, where for some of the console ports the m/k inputs just don't seem to work fluidly enough and I'm kinda forced to use the pad. I must admit, 9 times out of 10 I don't really mind using the pad. But its annoying to not have the choice to use the keyboard/mouse if I wanted to ...

Tallpaulos

Enthusiast
See the fact that we have mixed opinions makes me think it is game specific, or down to drivers or something. Although I reckon if you've not played on the xbox much, you won't have been exposed to the common pad setup used on BF3 and COD etc. Ideally I'd buy one of those two games for direct comparison, but I'd be amazed if they use different pad set-ups.

Some awesome input there guys - I will look into 3rd party solutions if I have the same problem on my new laptop. I think I'm due a new pad too.

I'm currently trying to get to grips with the mouse/keyboard setup again - I kick arse on the xbox shooting 12 yr old kids that don't stop running around....PC FPSs are whole different kettle of fish....on counter strike GO I'm now the one that the pro's get annoyed playing with and slash as they run past.

Bsrz

Rising Star
well I know when I get my rig I will be using the keyboard and mouse along with the pad and outer pc accessories like racing wheels and flight sticks - ultimately Im use to the xbox so I will know if it feels different :p

Torgan

Gold Level Poster
I use a wired Xbox Controller for quite a few games as there is nothing better than slobbing back in an armchair and still playing something on the laptop. I mainly play Kingdom of Amalur, Darksiders I/II, Skyrim and DMC on the controller, but think FPS are still much better with Keyboard and Mouse.

Slightly off topic but it's early in the morning, so a quick rant is good for the soul....

Why are there no decent flight joysticks that are designed for left handed gamers? or at least interchangeable ones. I know they are out there, but unless you want to pay three figures you're choices are severely limited

Anyway, moan over with, thankyou for listening and have a nice day :p

Torgan
CEO "Campaign for equal gaming rights for lefties"

Last edited:

Tallpaulos

Enthusiast
I use a wired Xbox Controller for quite a few games as there is nothing better than slobbing back in an armchair and still playing something on the laptop. I mainly play Kingdom of Amalur, Darksiders I/II, Skyrim and DMC on the controller, but think FPS are still much better with Keyboard and Mouse.

Slightly off topic but it's early in the morning, so a quick rant is good for the soul....

Why are there no decent flight joysticks that are designed for left handed gamers? or at least interchangeable ones. I know they are out there, but unless you want to pay three figures you're choices are severely limited

Anyway, moan over with, thankyou for listening and have a nice day :p

Torgan
CEO "Campaign for equal gaming rights for lefties"

Haha, I know what you mean, I'm a lefty too, and use a mouse in my left hand. I bought the diablo 3 mouse a few months ago because its ambidextrous. I really wanted one of the righty mice for FPS. The diablo 3 mouse is great for diablo, and most other games, but I feel like I'm missing out with 1st person shooters because the other buttons aren't quickly accessible. I also use the Razer Nostromo Expert Keypad with the wrong hand! I think I'll start a thread on set-up.

All the greatest people are lefties.

steaky360

Secretly we rule the world!

Now for only $29.45
mqdefault.jpg

Torgan

Gold Level Poster
Haha, I know what you mean, I'm a lefty too, and use a mouse in my left hand.

I've had to learn to use a mouse in my right hand as all the PC's at work are bolted to the left hand edge of the table so no room!!

If they treated dogs like they do lefties, there would be hell to pay and loonies marching on Downing Street!!!

Be strong and rise above the prejudices my port side favouring friends :rockon:

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I've had to learn to use a mouse in my right hand as all the PC's at work are bolted to the left hand edge of the table so no room!!

If they treated dogs like they do lefties, there would be hell to pay and loonies marching on Downing Street!!!

Be strong and rise above the prejudices my port side favouring friends :rockon:

Learning to use your mouse in your right hand leaves your strong hand free for "other things"... Like eating.