Yellow tinge at side-edge of screen. Normal or faulty?

Fuzzball

Bronze Level Poster
Been enjoying games on my new PCS laptop, but have noticed something recently. When the screen is displaying very dark colours (i.e. black or grey), on the right-hand edge of the screen - along the border between the screen and plastic frame - there is a yellowish, blurred tinge. It tends to be at the middle of the vertical height, and kind of looks like an external light is reflecting off the screen. (I checked though, and it is not caused by external lighting.)

It isn't a distortion of colours on the screen, but instead feels like there's a blurry stain on top of them. It's very similar to the light effect you get when adjusting the viewing angle of the screen, and in fact, when I adjust the vertical angle of the screen (i.e. moving the hinge), at the moment I'm doing this the whole screen seems to have this yellow tinge. So I am wondering if it's a fault with the physical integrity of the screen, and light is bleeding in through the edge where the screen and plastic frame meet. Or perhaps this is just a thing to do with viewing angles. Like I said, it's only noticeable when the screen is displaying something dark.

It also seems like the blurred area "spreads" slightly when I (gently!) squeeze on the frame edge at the side of the screen. This makes me think it's a physical fault, but I really can't tell!

I don't feel I've noticed this on previous laptops, and because I've only noticed it recently on this one I can't tell whether it's a newly developed fault or something that's always been present.

Does this sound like a normal thing with modern LED screens? Or is it a fault?

The screen is: "Octane Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)" (And it can also use GSYNC technology.)

sparkycat

hi, this happened to me 2 years ago when i got a laptop from PCS, get in touch with them, they will replace it for you, take it its less than 1 year old or you got warranty.........its defo faulty, i tried everything drivers etc,, they were very good and replaced the screen

Fuzzball

Bronze Level Poster
Thank you. It definitely does seem like a fault. I got in touch with PCS technical support and sent them some photos. Hopefully they will be able to collect the laptop and fix the problem quickly!

Just curious, when you got your laptop fixed, did it affect any other component (i.e. saved data)? Obviously I'll fully back up everything before sending the laptop for repairs, but I'm just curious what their process will be.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
It's something that can happen to any screen, usually caused by a clear glue between the plastic cover and the monitor itself which doesn't always set properly. It's generally an issue right out of the factory and if it does happen its usually very minor and only noticeable in certain situations. But if it's quite a lot then PCS should be able to replace it for you.