"You don't have permission to save in this drive"

ryapow

so I have been trying to fix this for some time now and had no real luck in doing so.

Basically, my SSD is filling up and I am trying to save things like games and downloads from the internet to my: /D drive and it's always giving me errors about not having the rights to the D drive...I have tried the security permissions method but had no luck with that either.

any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

screenshots of the method I tried before, by giving myself admin rights to this drive but it don't work :/
https://gyazo.com/d26bd67d19c754fcf5a3a3d5a6140b1d

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Messing about with security permissions almost always end in disaster. Windows security is complex and multi-layered and isn't based solely on those access control entries (ACE) either. In addition Windows does not necessarily process those ACEs in the order you see them coded - any deny access ACEs are always processed before all other ACEs.

To find out what access you actually have to that drive (or to any file or folder) click on the Advanced button on the Security tab you have in your screenshot. In the Window that opens click the Effective Access tab, click the 'select a user' menu item and in the box that pops up type the user name you logon with and click the Check Names button. Then (once the name has been checked) click the Ok button. You will go back to the Effective Tab again so now click the Effective Access button and the access you get to that resource will be shown.

If you don't get the access you need then you'll need to work out which ACE to modify. You must appreciate that your userid may be a member of several ACEs (because you're a member of several groups). For example, if you're using an Administrator account then you'll be in both the Administrator group and the Users group - if either of those groups has a checkmark in the Deny column then you won't be allowed access. Basically, a Deny checkmark in any group to which you belong will deny you access.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Given the other, previous issues, I wonder if a clean install might be the way to go (with both drives formatted, and data having been carefully backed up before hand ofc)