"Your computer has a memory problem"

ulurujamman

Ran into a blue screen this morning in the course of normal browsing, error message given as "FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE". No memory.dmp file in root as far as I can tell. Ran Memory Check as suggested by another webpage and ended up with a text box which just said something to the effect of "your computer has a memory problem - contact the manufacturer". Is this inevitably going to end up with me having to replace one or both RAM chips in my rig?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17413

Hi...im assuming this is a PCS system?

Have you tried seeing what happens when you remove any of the RAM? Can try it with just one stick, see if the same error occurs, then swap them over and try again...might help narrow it down.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ran into a blue screen this morning in the course of normal browsing, error message given as "FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE". No memory.dmp file in root as far as I can tell. Ran Memory Check as suggested by another webpage and ended up with a text box which just said something to the effect of "your computer has a memory problem - contact the manufacturer". Is this inevitably going to end up with me having to replace one or both RAM chips in my rig?
Can you please post your full specs from the order page?

ulurujamman

Sure, here it is

Attachments

• pcbuild.JPG
    pcbuild.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 146

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Remove one of the RAM cards and re-run the memory test on each card at a time to find the faulty card. You'll almost certainly have to replace one or both RAM cards.

ulurujamman

Ok, sorry for the delay - ran memtest86 this morning for 2 passes before I had to cut the test short and start work. No errors found. Could probably leave it running overnight for the full 4 but not sure how likely that is to turn up different results?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ok, sorry for the delay - ran memtest86 this morning for 2 passes before I had to cut the test short and start work. No errors found. Could probably leave it running overnight for the full 4 but not sure how likely that is to turn up different results?
No RAM tester can ever guarantee to find problems, though Memtest is the best there is. You really do need to let it run all four iterations of the various tests.

However, you have already used the Windows Memory Diagnostic, which uses a far inferior set of tests to Memtest, and it failed. That means you have a RAM problem - even if Memtest runs clean. ANY indication of a RAM failure must be taken seriously.

ulurujamman

That's fine, I can let it run tonight. Will it be able to identify which of the two RAM chips is faulty, or am I still going to have to do the swap-out test as well at some point?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That's fine, I can let it run tonight. Will it be able to identify which of the two RAM chips is faulty, or am I still going to have to do the swap-out test as well at some point?
You'll have to run the test on each stick at a time, Memtest won't tell you directly which stick has failed.

If it were mine I'd replace both sticks with a matched pair even if only one failed. Given your memory diagnostic failure I'd be doing that already as a matter of course.

ulurujamman

All right, still nothing on memtest86, but I did get the bluescreen again yesterday, so something is pretty conclusively wrong. If the general consensus is that RAM should be paired then I don't see any reason to narrow down which of the chips is broken, so instead I'll just ask for advice on what I should replace it with?

D

Deleted member 17413

Found your motherboard specs
ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer Specifications
CPUIntel® Socket 1150 for the 5th/New 4th/4th Generation Core™ i7/Core™ i5/Core™ i3/Pentium®/Celeron® Processors
Supports Intel® 22 nm CPU
Supports Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
ChipsetIntel® Z97
Memory4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 3200(O.C.) 3100(O.C.) 3000(O.C.) 2933(O.C.) 2800(O.C.) 2666(O.C.) 2500(O.C.) 2400(O.C.) 2200(O.C.) 2133(O.C.) 2000(O.C.) 1866(O.C.) 1600/1333 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
GraphicIntegrated Graphics Processor- Intel® HD Graphics support
Multi-VGA output support : HDMI/DVI-D/RGB ports
– Supports HDMI with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz
– Supports DVI-D with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
– Supports RGB with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
Maximum shared memory of 512 MB
Supports Intel® InTru™ 3D, Quick Sync Video, Clear Video HD Technology, Insider™
Supports up to 3 displays simultaneously
Multi-GPU SupportSupports NVIDIA® Quad-GPU SLI™ Technology
Supports AMD Quad-GPU CrossFireX™ Technology
Expansion Slots2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (Single at x16, dual at x8/x8, )
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (max at x4 mode, black)
2 x PCIe x1
2 x PCI
StorageIntel® Z97 chipset :
1 x SATA Express port, compatible with 2 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports
1 x M.2 Socket 3, , with M Key, type 2260/2280 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode)
4 x SATA 6Gb/s ports, gray
Support RAID 0, 1, 5, 10
Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology, Intel® Rapid Start Technology, Intel® Smart Connect Technology
LANIntel® I218V, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s), featuring GAMEFIRST II
AudioSupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
– Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel MIC Jack-retasking
– High quality 115 dB SNR stereo playback output
– High-fidelity audio OP AMP(s)
Audio Feature :
– SupremeFX Shielding™ Technology
– ELNA premium audio capacitors
– Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel
– Sonic Radar II
USB PortsIntel® Z97 chipset :
6 x USB 3.0/2.0 ports (4 at back panel, blue, 2 at mid-board)
Intel® Z97 chipset :
8 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports (2 at back panel, black, 6 at mid-board)
OS SuportWindows® 8.1 86×64
Windows® 8 86×64
Windows® 7 86×64
Back I/O Ports1 x PS/2 keyboard/mouse combo port
1 x DVI-D
1 x D-Sub
1 x HDMI
1 x LAN (RJ45) port
4 x USB 3.0 (blue)
2 x USB 2.0
1 x Optical S/PDIF out
6 x Audio jacks
Internal I/O Ports1 x USB 3.0 connector supports additional 2 USB 3.0 ports (19-pin)
3 x USB 2.0 connectors supports additional 6 USB 2.0 ports
1 x SATA Express connector: gray, compatible with 2 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports
1 x M.2 Socket 3 for M Key, type 2260/2280 devices
1 x TPM header
1 x COM port(s) connector
4 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors
1 x CPU Fan connector (1 x 4 -pin)
1 x CPU OPT Fan connector (1 x 4 -pin)
3 x Chassis Fan connectors (3 x 4 -pin)
1 x S/PDIF out header
1 x 24-pin EATX Power connector
1 x 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector
1 x Front panel audio connector (AAFP)
1 x System panel
1 x Thermal sensor connector
1 x Clear CMOS jumper
Form FactorATX Form Factor
12 inch x 9.6 inch ( 30.5 cm x 24.4 cm )
Looks like 1600MHz if you arent overclocking?

Last edited by a moderator:

ulurujamman

Ok, cheers. A friend of mine has offered to give me a couple of spare DDR4 chips he had no space for on his rig, and I've got an M.2 solid state I picked up in the sales last year that I'm currently only getting like 1/3rd max speed on, so thinking now I might take the opportunity to do a more substantial upgrade and replace the motherboard as well, but I'll make another post in the appropriate category. Thanks for everyone's help.

D

Deleted member 17413

If you are doing that I would seize the chance to move away from Intel then, they arent in a good place.

D

Deleted member 17413

Yep.
Ditch Intel CPU/Motherboard if replacing the motherboard and get a CPU upgrade while you are at it.
Replacing the motherboard is effectively building a new PC and it would be crazy to get a new motherboard and stick that old CPU in it anyway... Intel are currently a dead end unless you are doing nothing but 1080p competitive gaming (overclocked system and lowest graphics settings and FPS pumped to 240MHz in actual competition gaming/tournaments)

Intel are sitting on old chip design (14nm) and the boards are on a limited lifespan as they wont fit the next generation Intel are planning on, overclocking anything but a Z overboard kills the warranty, the chips themselves have thermal and stability issues, security patches will decrease performance as well, multithreading is poor...list just goes on and on and Intel dont seem to be interested in fixing it.