Your connection is not private (Chrome & Edge)

Hello,

I've recently done a fresh/clean installation of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, also installing my freshly purchased copy of Bitdefender Interent Security 2017 - with Mozilla Firefox my default web browser. Everything went fine, or seemed to, but found that there is something wrong with Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge. Chrome says "your connection is not private" (NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID) and I get a similar message from Edge - "ceritifcate error: navigation blocked" and every website you go to, or try to go, gives you the message: "There's a problem with this website's security certificate" (and you cannot download anything, etc). There is nothing wrong with Firefox, which works perfectly.

Yes, the date and time is correct, and Bitdefender is my only "real time" security - my other security being the free versions of Spyware Blaster, SuperAntiSpyware and Malware bytes. By the way, I have a dual-boot system with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - also doing a new install of Bitdefender there too, and everything works fine.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks,
DANNY

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
This is going to sound dumb, but check that the hardware date and time (in the BIOS) and the Windows date and time are correct, especially the date.

Hello everyone,

Problem solved. Under Bitdefender, I eventually found the 'Scan SSL' feature in the Web Protection module - turned it off - and now everything is fine. I like happy endings.

Thanks,
DANNY

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
And FF works because at some point you will have added the certificate into its store - you may not even have realised you did it. I like FF for the home but having just wrangled with it in an enterprise environment I can tell you it's a royal pig. I lose count of how often I must have used the phrase "you do realise this is NOT an Enterprise product, don't you?"