Your First Ever PC.

baron75mk2

Banned
I had an e-machines pc about 6 years ago when i stated out & it was well .............. BAD!!! , its the only word i can describe it as
(well at leased on a public forum anyways) [rollinglaugh]

Velkro

had a spectrum 128k +2 when I was younger and was a good few years before I really got interested. Got my first proper PC in 2000 built by MESH and was amazing. Had the first incarnation of geforce gpu and a 750mhz amd processor and 256mb sd ram with a 30gig hdd. First games I bought were Half Life and Opposing Forces and Delta Force 2.......

Happy Times

in a bit

Velkro

pcpower

Bronze Level Poster
I got my first real PC back in 1998, I dont know the specs nor brand but it had Windows 98 and it cost me over £500, but I do remember the PC and the monitor was white and the PC had a CD ROM drive white could play music cds as well, But I dont know if it could play DVD's.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Well....PCs didn't exist until IBM invented them (1981 I think). Before then these devices were known as microcomputers and they all ran different hardware architectures and the operating system was typically part and parcel of the machine. One exception was an OS called CP/M which I worked with for a while, DOS and then PCDOS and MSDOS were derived from CP/M. My first home microcomputer was actually a kit based on the SCMP4 microprocessor, 256 bytes of RAM and probably no more that a dozen machine instructions. My first proper home microcomputer was a Sinclair ZX80. My first business computer was a Research Machines 380Z running CP/M. Much later I was given a Commodore 64 and asked to write a book about it, which I did with a mate of mine, "Secrets of the Commodore 64" by P Cornes and A Cross (I'm the second one).

Last edited:

Androcles

Rising Star
My first ever PC was an IBM Portable Personal Computer 5155 model 68 :D

Intel 8088 @4.77mhz
256KB memory
CGA graphics (80x25 text only resolution)
Amber monochrome monitor (9")
5.25" 360k floppy drive

My first ever "gaming" pc was a self built 486 with an intel overdrive (overclock of that age it was a chip that plugged in on top of the processor to boost its speed).

Other computers i had .. well i kind of worked my way through most of them, bbc micro, dragon 32, various commodore and spectrum variants, sinclair ZX81 with the rubber key cover and 6k ram pack, nimbus, various amigas and ataris ... and so on

Last edited:

unicorn77

Oh the fun of the Sinclair Spectrum 48K! Loading from tape watching bizarre patterns and listening to strange screeches. I upgraded mine by the addition of a kludgelike disc interface that poked out the back, with a ribbon cable to a 5.25 inch floppy disc drive that cost me about 100 quid and a 40 mile drive to collect it. That arrangement was about as reliable as loading from tape but a whole lot faster! I learnt a great deal about "computers" in cracking the protection on the tapes so that I could save the code to disc.

Karnor00

Bright Spark
First family computer was a Vic 20. Which after a while we upgraded to a C64.

First PC type computer was an Amstrad 086. 640k RAM and a 30MB HD! It had VGA graphics tho (256 colors). I had a friend with an even older computer which only had CGA graphics (4 colors for anyone wondering)

Last edited:

Encolpius

Silver Level Poster
My first 'computer' was a commodore 64....Now that was a machine. Some awesome fun to be had! I don't half miss playing robo cop :(

Had that on the Atari ST. Not bad, but I don't miss the endless cavalcade of cheapo joysticks we had to play with because my parents were too stingy to shell out for a quality one with microswitches rather than easily bent contacts and huge amounts of travel.

gaaron

Silver Level Poster
eeh in 1993ish after doing a City & Guilds IT course with MS DOS 3 to a level 3 which involved programming (always need to know more), I bought a 2nd hand Dell. I only remember floppy discs were 'out' & the discs (square ones) were still just in Kb! 2 Mb of RAM was top notch! A printer cost over £400!!
Anyhow, that training/research has served me well - config.sys;exec.bac;buffers.. And installing new software, well.......... I had a good grounding . Windows 8? No prob ;)