Z87 - A vs Z97 - A for gaming desktop

Hadleyben

I just saw that PCS have started offering the Z97 boards, would it be a good idea to amend my gaming pc order to replace the Z87-A with the Z97-A for a saving of £1?

Thanks in advance guys

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I have been looking up the latest boards today. From a purely performance point of view they are almost identical. They have more features for some new and upcoming standards, refreshed looks and slightly different layouts with a few more USB 3 connectors for the front panel etc.

Overall unless you desperately need FanXpert 3 or to run a usb3 card reader and a couple of usb 3 front ports then they are not going to be much different for your average user.

That said I would get the newer version, not just because its a pound cheaper but because its new. Who doesn't like new stuff?

Lex1970

Silver Level Poster
As the 4690 has a 5% increase over the i5- if the difference is only a £1 then definetly go for the former, The new Z-79 don't offer much over the Z87 in terms of performance but as they will support the next generation Intel Broadwell chip whenever it comes out at least the Z-97 will be more future proof