Zoomed In Screen After Plugging In Second Monitor

Jackthomas83

So my friend was using his pc and decided to plug a tv into the pc as a second monitor and ever since then the screen has been massively zoomed in like the task bar takes up a huge chunk of the screen and the resolution doesn’t fix anything and the scaling of apps and the other things bit is unable to be changed? Can anybody help? I was thinking maybe it’s the graphics drivers but I can’t update anything because the screen is too zoomed in or whatever?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Troubleshooting for a friend of a friend of a mate down the pub (well, you get the idea) can be a bit tricky online :)

What's the full spec of the PC, what are the refresh rates and resolutions of the monitors/TVs connected to the PC, and what video outputs are being used?

Rakk

The Awesome
Just as a quick query, is it possible you've accidentally turned on the screen magnifier - I know I did once and yes everything was absolutely huge.
The shortcut key to turn it off is the Win key and the Escape key at the same time.
It may be nothing to do with it of course but its very easy to turn off if it is the case :)

Jackthomas83

Zotac gtx 1050ti
Intel G4560
ASROCK B250M-HDV motherboard and the magnifier trick didn’t work the refresh rates are I believe 60 on the monitor and not sure for the tv.
The cables being used are dvi for the monitor and hdmi for the tv I’ve tried using the hdmi for the monitor with no results

Jackthomas83

the monitor is asus and the tv is sanyo i think but the problem is still there even if the monitor is just plugged in or just the tv is plugged in

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
the monitor is asus and the tv is sanyo i think but the problem is still there even if the monitor is just plugged in or just the tv is plugged in
Ah, if you have the problem when only one device is plugged and when either device is plugged in then it's most likely a driver issue (as Oussebon has said).

Either visit the PC manufacturer's website and download the latest graphics drivers from there or visit the website of the graphics card vendor and download the drivers from there. Do NOT use a third-party driver search and install tool. Then use DDU as advised to remove all traces of existing and old graphics drivers and then install the downloaded drivers.

It might also be worth running the system file checker just in case there is a corruption in Windows system files. To do that, open an elevated command prompt (or elevated PowerShell session) and enter the command sfc /scannow. This will take a while to run, if it shows any errors found and not fixed that could be a contributory factor.

Jackthomas83

So I managed to go round to my friends house and sort the problem out, the solution was so simple for anyone else having the problem.
I opened up the display properties and above the resolution where you can edit the scale there was red writing that said something along the lines of “ custom scale factor set” and which stopped me from changing the scale factor so I read beneath the text and in a faded font it says something like “reset scale and log out” I pressed that and boom it loads back up back to normal. Hopefully this fixes anyone else having the same issue :) thank you everyone who wanted to help